Questions about Radiation

OK...my siter talked to the radiologist today who said that they want her to have radiation after she finishes chemo. For those who did not read my previous post, her oncologist has told her that her recent PET was clear. He sees no cancer, yet wants to continue chemo for the full 6 months. I am not exactly sure when they want to start the radiation, I just know she said 26 times. I know very little about radiation, but am curious to know what he will be aiming for, if there is no cancer showing up on the pet. Could they be radiation where the tumors were? (From my limited understanding of this, she had 2 large tumors in one lung, lymph nodes and her thyroid were also affected.) Are the side effects of Radiation worse than Chemo, and is it REALLY necessary? Any advise or knowledge is greatly appreciated. I wish I were there with her to have more information, but my BIL goes to the Dr. with her and sometimes he is like talking to the Cookie Monster. But I love him.

OK..I talked to my sister yesterday. IF it is only PCI, she is not aware of it. From what I gathered in our conversation, they are going to do radiation where the tumors were. The radiologist told her there was no cancer showing up on the scans, but they want to radiate to make sure the cancer will not return or that there are no microscopic amounts that are not showing up on the scan. This is what she told me,and I asked her if they said anything about her brain and she said no. The doctor also told her that 10 years ago this would have been considered a cure, but now they like to continue with the full chemo regime and use radiation, also as a preventative measure. I don't know if she is not understanding or if the Dr. is just trying to make money. Although I do trust the Dr. He is very good to her. He told her her scans are remarkable, so I don't think he is trying to scam her. Any advice would be appreciated. Me, Personally, I think our prayers were answered and she doesn't need anything else.

I had radiation after surgery. There were no tumors they were radiating, but I had positive lymph nodes and the radiation was to "make sure" any cells that may have traveled a bit farther down the lymph line were eradicated. My radiation focused on my mediastinum, where there was one positive lymph node in the pair (had the second of the pair been positive, I would have been staged at IV instead of IIIa).

There does not have to be a tumor for radiation, and it IS a "to be sure" measure.

Like Snowflake, my husband will begin radiation the beginning of January targeted at the area where the tumor was removed and a positive lymph node was to make sure there are no stray cells left behind to grow. His team are going for a cure. I am all for the extra measure if it will help prevent any future cancer.

Your sisters treatment plan sounds reasonable to me.

I am really happy she is doing so well.

Mendy

Nope, it doesn't stop. I refer to it as the cancer rollercoaster. To say, "Get used to it," is ridiculas, because I don't know that one ever can. That is why I am ever faithful to this site of people who are so encouraging, and help me along every twist and turn of this horrible rollercoaster.

God bless, and good luck!

Jen

I also had chemo and then radiation where my tumors were. It was suppose to give me approximately a 5-7% better chance of a cure. I took it and so far so good. I would not change anything about my treatment plan. I will say that there are some side effects. I have a little SOB and a wheeze but I'll take it. I wanted the best chance I could get.

Nina