Weight Loss

wondermom

My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 nonsmall cell lung cancer in early December. She has since lost between 15 and 20 pounds. Right after diagnosis she didn't have much appetite. Partially I think because of being sick about the diagnosis and partially because of the loss of appetite that comes with treatment. However, now she is eating quite well. She makes herself eat because she doesn't want to lose anymore weight. Unfortunately she can't seem to put the weight back on even though she is eating very well. Why might this be? She is currently tapering off steroids that she was taking during the brain radiation she was recieving. She will be done with the steroids on Wednesday of this week. Could that have something to do with it? I just hate seeing her wither away, especially when she is really eating and feeling pretty good. Her main problem is being worn out and fatigued from the chemo but she really doesn't have a problem with nausea.

I echo Don's words about needed eating habits during treatment. The body consumes a lot of fuel just dealing with this dx (i.e. the body will consume more fuel from the cancer demands and will also naturally consume more fuel trying to heal itself from chemo/radiation). As much nutrition (i.e. caloric intake #1; nutritional balancing as much as possible too) as possible is important, including adequate liquids to avoid becoming dehydrated.

Rx'd medications such as Megace help too with boosting appetite, if necessary to maintain good weight. I'm sure others will chime in soon with other recommendations.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Linda

I started to loose weight the first week of chemo. I don’t think your body digests the food as well. I managed to gain weight, but I was eating breakfast three times each day. I liked almond butter on an English muffin to help gain weight.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hi,

Often people on steroids do gain weight because they tend to make you hungry. You should find things that your monther can tolerate easily and have them frequently. Cheese, milkshakes, ground meat with mashed potato. Use the butter, olive oil,etc.

Meals should be frequent, and plenty of fluids.

I could afford to lose weight and the doctors insist they do not want any weight loss. (It's a first for me, having a doctor say my weight is good! fortunately, I have had no problem witheating since this journey began.)

Good luck.

Mary

My mother lost 15-20 pounds too the first 3 months. Her oncologist suggested Ensure drinks (a complete and balanced nutrition, source of vitamins, proteins, calories, etc.). There's a few flavors (vanilla, strawberry, chocolate). It helps to gain weight and it gives energy.

My husband has lost 12 lbs on top of the 20 he had already lost prior diagnosis. He was puffy from chemo - so probably was holding some water. I am just praying that it is nothing else. He is on oxycodone - I don't know if they are a steroid or not. I had heard that chemo itself chews away at your weight - not sure how true that is.

Heather

Hi - thanks Mary Colleen, I wasn't sure - Did your husband puff up from the chemo. I don't know what is up with mine's weight - have to try to build it back up for radiation so he has some strength. His sister and brother are coming from Newfoundland and his brother is coming from Edmonton in 10 days so that should help.

Heather