Bobby Hamilton Sr Head and Neck Cancer and Advocate

RandyW

Hamilton Sr loses cancer fight

Racing series OBITUARIES NASCAR

Date 2007-01-07

By Nancy Knapp Schilke - Motorsport.com

Bobby Hamilton, Sr. never gave up as he battled neck cancer, the gentleman racer's final battle in life came to a close on Sunday, January 7, 2007 at the age of 49. His career in stock car racing had its ups and downs but his passion, determination and hard work saw his career which started in 1975 in his hometown of Nashville, Tennessee.

When the cancer was discovered in February last year, Hamilton stepped down as a driver on March 19th. "It's called head-and-neck cancer. I don't have anything wrong with my head, but [Ken] Schrader said a lot of people would doubt that," he said on that fateful day.

After his final race in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series at Atlanta (March '06), he handed the keys of his Bobby Hamilton Racing No. 18 Dodge Tundra over to his son Bobby Hamilton, Jr.

Instead of racing, Hamilton decided to promote cancer awareness as he underwent treatment. "I want to use what little bit of celebrity status I have left and try to promote the awareness of this disease," Hamilton said prior to his final race. "Out of respect for everyone I race against, I didn't think it was fair for my competitors to even think there was a problem."

During the past year, Hamilton has been upfront about his cancer, the fight it entailed from himself and his family. He did promote cancer awareness as one of the leaders working with the Craftsman For a Cure charity fundraiser in August of 2006. The total raised was over $66 thousand which benefited the American Cancer Society and the Victory Junction Gang Camp.

Hamilton's NASCAR career included all three top series: Cup, Busch and Truck. He earned the 1991 Cup Rookie of the Year title and he notched four Cup wins, including the Talladega 500 in 2001. In the Busch Series, he had solo victory came Richmond in 1989.

In 1996, Hamilton ran his first NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series (NCTS) race after forming his own team commonly known as BHR. The early years, Hamilton ran selected races with his first win at Martinsville in 2000. The next year, as the series started to take hold in both motor sports and the market place, Hamilton landed win number two at Darlington.

In 2003, Hamilton took on the full season in NCTS, he ended the season sixth in the standings with one pole, two wins and ten top-fives.

His championship season was a true fight in 2004 between himself, Dennis Setzer and Ted Musgrave. In mid-season, Hamilton built the edge he needed but with four races to go, he slipped to second and made the comeback to take the coveted title -- his first NASCAR championship!

"Obviously I'm pretty proud of all my people," expressed Hamilton about his team on the day they landed the championship. "The emotion is a happy emotion. It just hasn't sunk in for me. I mean, I know I won the championship."

The next year, Hamilton led the way from the first race, again in the title fight with Musgrave and Setzer. In the final third, Hamilton slipped and ended his final full season sixth in the points with one pole and two wins.

His family was reported by NASCAR to have been with him at the time of his death.

The racing world will be saying their farewells to a champion, not just on the track but in his personal life also.

This is sad, but he didn't have lung cancer did he? He had head and neck cancer? Having head and neck cancer can be treated very differently then lung cancer patients. I just don't want people to be confused when they read this article, and think he may have had lung cancer too.

We do lose a lot of young and old people to many kinds of cancers these days. Cancer sucks!

I'm sorry I came off as being so nasty, :oops::oops: :oops: I cleared up the ishiness. SO SORRY! (shame on me!)

I guess it wasn't a good day for me,(must have been a menopause day) but it doesn't excuse me from being rude and nasty. Sorry Randy. (((Randy)))

Instead of racing, Hamilton decided to promote cancer awareness as he underwent treatment. "I want to use what little bit of celebrity status I have left and try to promote the awareness of this disease," Hamilton said prior to his final race. "Out of respect for everyone I race against, I didn't think it was fair for my competitors to even think there was a problem."

My reason for posting this loss is Cancer that was all.

Randy,

Thanks for posting this. A tragic loss regardless of the type of cancer. It is folks such as Bobby Hamilton using his "little bit of celebrity" that helps so much to draw attention to the need for more money, more research and more awareness of ALL cancer.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Christine

Thanks for the posting, Randy. Kudos to Bobby Hamilton for promoting cancer awareness!

I guess if Connie feels it necessary, she could move this post to the JUST FOR FUN/OFF TOPIC FORUM, since this is not a Lung ca death or lung ca issue.

Just food for thought. :wink:

~Karen

Thanks for posting this. I saw on the news last night that he'd passed and knew of the work he'd been doing in raising awareness for all kinds of cancers. Many prayers and many thanks to his family for allowing us to share not only in his life on the track, but in his journey with cancer, too.

And awww crap...I'd NOT heard that Benny was in ICU. Crap crap crap! Sending prayers his way, too!