Help - Can this be a sign of cancer?

Donnajean

Hello!

I am new here, and I have a general question perhaps someone can help me with.

My husband (57 yrs.old. Former 2-pack a day smoker - who started in 1968, and quit in 1979. 5-year survivor from diagnosis in 2002 of squamous cell carcinoma at base of tongue)....just recently went for a chest Xray (as ordered by his ENT doc) this past Thursday. On Saturday, we received a voice mail mesaage from our Internist that said that the Xray came back abnormal, showing "irregular density in the right upper lung". He now wants him to go for a CT scan for further testing to see what this is. Any ideas on what this could mean? Does this mean cancer? Please help! Thanks!

It is hard to say from my point. I could say no and be wrong. I could say yes and sadly be right. Pray that it is nothing. Could be scarring from something else.I would ay wait for test results before panicking. I know that is ewasy to say but hard to do. I have done the test and waiting a lot, and I do miss it. Pray for nothing serious to be the diagnosis. sending a prayer.

A surgeon would tell you they don't know until they get the pathology results back. A fungal ball will show up as a dense mass in the lung and isn't cancer. Scarring from pneumonia or tb will look irregular on an xray. Please don't worry too much until you know for sure what is causing the dense mass. It could be something other than cancer.

I hope you won't be needing our support.

Good luck!

Mendy

Hello Again,

Thank you all for your support and help. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Lately, my husband has had a lot of phlegm and sometimes makes a "gurgling" sound (like fluid build-up)at night lying down and sometimes sitting upright as well. The phlegm problem is not really new - since ever since he has had chemo & radiation to the head and neck area...his salivary glands were pretty much destroyed, and he often gets phlegm caught in his throat, etc. I don't know if this is another "symptom" or not of anything serious. The trouble with looking on the net - everything seems to suggest a kind of cancer. Not much encouraging news to be had out there it seems. But I thank you all again for your help.

Donnajean

The CT scan will help your doctors to identify what's happening with your husband. Like others have said, try to not worry too much until you have some answers from the doctor. We will be saying prayers that all is well. Plese let us know what you find out.