does a port hurt

Robin

Robin,

Were I to need chemo, I would get a port. I have enough problems with contrast dye IVs for my CTs and MRIs - and the vampires can't seem to get me in one stick anymore.

I believe there may be some discomfort after having it installed, but that it ends up being like a hole in a tooth - doesn't bother you unless you go looking for it (darn tongues with those teeth!)... I know that some have posted about a cream that is used to numb the skin prior to using the port, less discomfort than yet another stick and IV line.

Hopefully, someone who has gone through the procedure will answer you soon!

Good luck to you!

I did not feel alot of pain afterwards. I took Tylenol (OTC) and that was all I needed. The procedure was a little uncomfortable because I chose to use only local anesthesia.. Besides that, no problems... I will be praying for you!!!

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

P.S. It was one of the best choices I made!!!

I had my port for 3 years and it was the best thing I ever did. If I need chemo again I'd have another in a heartbeat.

As for pain - some tenderness at the site for the first little while but no more than you'd expect with any other procedure of this type.

Good luck

Geri

Robin,

I think a port is a matter of preference and need. I did not have a port. I only went for chemo once a week and I had good veins, so I had no need. If they have problems finding your veins and the frequency is more often then you may have a need. This is what I preferred and it worked well for me.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

I have had mine for 4 1/2 years, so you are asking my memory to work. I do not remember much pain. The most discomfort was when my seat belt laid against it. I also have excellent veins, but my first chemo ate through my vein. It was a low dose because I was getting daily radiation. After it burned through my vein they had to give my 10 injections around the area to counter act the chemo. I have the kind of veins they can hit from ten feet. My port was put in two days later. I had a local to get it. Mine is on my left side. Also make sure you get the numbing cream and apply it to the area one hour before use. Good luck. John

Like John mentioned the seat belt when I drive was the biggest problem ... so the kind folks at my chemo place gave me a little device with padding and velcro to slide over the seat belt and viola no more problem. One of my lungs collapsed during the procedure so I have chosen to keep my port in for a few years just in case I need it again. Would rather have the periodic flushing than to have to have the port reinserted. Even with the problems I encountered I would say get the port so the do not destroy your veins.

My dad has a very low pain tolerancy.. we insisted on a port.. no problems at all, not even a bruise.. it is a real quick procedure and saves a lot of future discomfort. I had the Dr's write a script for a cream that numbs the skin and any time the port is used we prepare the area and he feels nothing at all... let me know how it went!

Sandra