New here friend just diagnosed

Claire UK

Hi to all of you. A very close family friend a 2nd Father to me has just been diagnosed with lung cancer adenocarcinoma. We are in the UK and the health system is a bit different from the US> Right now we are having a hard time gettinmg info from the Drs! He has been in hospital for 5 weeks and has mostly been having fluid drain from his lungs. We only found out that the cancer cells in this fluid are thought to be secondaries but the hospital say they are unable to locate the primary tumour. Is this normal? He has had abdominal scans and X rays but nothiong has been found yet. They have said chemo ids the only treatment option. I suppose it must be stage 4 if there is already a spread. Today he is having a procedure to tryt to stick the membranes back to the lung and then will have an appointment with an Oncologist to discuss chemo. Again thinsg are differenmt here, you just get what your local hospital can offer! Wjhat are the best chemos for this type of cancer? Any info and ideas gratefully received.

I found out about this forum from another board I use as my Mum has been battling pancreatic cancer for the last year. I have found out a lot about this disease and now need to find out more about lung cancer too. Best wishes to all of you dealing with this.

Claire

The Stqandard List of Chemo for Adenocarcinoma in the states is most of these drugs. UK may be different though I am sure.

1. Gemzar

2. Navelbine

3. Carboplatin

4. Cisplatin

5. Taxol

6. Tarceva

7. Alimta

8. Avastin

9. Etoposide

This is the main ones I can think of. Some of these are for other Cancers but work For Lung Caner like Etoposide and Tarceva. They also work on other types of Cancers In addition top Lung Cancer.

Just Found this Link For the Uk And it may help you out more than I can Click on the Link below to be redirected

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Treatmen ... idualdrugs

Very important to ask about radiarion and Why Not available or REcommended.

Sending Prayers and Let us know if we can help with anything at all. If you need more info, I will be happy to see what I can do to help out. This is a good Start

Claire,

Welcome to the boards. Sorry about the diagnosis. There are others on the board who live in the UK, so I'm sure they will be around to post what their treatment plans were.

We are here for you, so feel free to ask any questions. My brother-in-law also was diagnosed with LC with no primary tumor in his lungs, but mets to his brain, so it does happen. Good luck to your Mom on her progress. We know of one pancreatic cancer survivor who is in his fourth year now.

Best wishes,

Welthy

Claire,

Welcome to the site, I had Carboplatin, Taxol and Tarceva all at the same time. My oncologist has told me that now the choice would be Carboplatin, Taxol and Avastin. I had a cycle of once a week for three weeks then one week off. I had a total of 4 cycles. I was told that this was an aggressive treatment. The treatment will vary from one doctor to the next.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie