Average wait time before CT scan results

Donnajean

Hi All,

My husband went for a doctor-recommended chest xray (by his ENT doctor, who successfully treated him for scc cancer at the base of tongue) on 1-9-07. On 1-11-07, our PCP called and said that there was an "irregular density on the rt. upper lung"...and recommended that he go for a cat scan (thorax) for further investigation.

My husband went for the ct scan (without contrast - due to the fact that he gets very ill on the dye) on 1-30-07. To date we still haven't heard anything as far as results. I am so nervous, I can hardly function sometimes. What is the average wait time for a test like this? If we haven't heard anything by now...is this a "good sign"? Thanks.

Donna

I had a radiologist tell me that one can call and ask for the preliminary reports the next day. You have to take the bull by the horns. My husband makes sure we gets the results within 2 days or he is not a happy camper. When I was first diagnosed, they would drag their feet and get to it when they felt like it. We learned to be persistant. Sure, many in the medical field don't like it, but, tuff, it's not their report, it's yours and you're not their to make friends anyway. If it was a report about their body, they would be "Johnny on the spot."

Always request your scans be done on Monday or Tuesday... otherwise, you will find yourself having to wait over the weekend and into the next week for results. There is absolutly no reason to be waiting any longer than 2 days, period. Build a fire under their butts.

Cheryl

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am just so nervous! It's like I want to know - yet I don't want to know, if that makes any sense. But I will keep you posted when we hear something. Thanks everyone for your paryers and words of encouragment...it sure means a lot. I'm keeping you all in my prayers too. Just taking it one day at a time, I guess...that's all we can do.

Donnajean