Dad depressed - Not Sleeping - Any suggestions

karenlaureti

Good morning all. Hoping I can get some advice for my Dad. He is having a horrible time sleeping and is depressed. He has finished his radiation and chemo and the tumor is gone in his lung. He just began radiation on Friday to his brain. Anyway, they are going to the dr. this afternoon, and I am thinking he should be on an anti-depressant and possibly something like Xanax. He take Lunesta for sleeping, but it doesn't seem to be helping. This is very difficult for him as he was always a great sleeper. Any tips anyone has would be greatly appreicated. Thanks again!

Karen,

My dad was given a med (I dont' know the name, but I can find out if you want me to) that helped him sleep and that was an antidepressant. He DID NOT WANT an antidepressant, but we all knew he needed one. The doc went at it with the approach that it would help him sleep. It worked WONDERS. It was a great, great thing. I would recommend it to anyone. At that point, my dad would lie in bed, not sleeping, and then during the day, he would sit in his chair and watch birds. When you would come into the room, he would go at length about what the birds were doing, and then would be quiet....it was terrible. AFter the meds, he would sleep better, and got out of the chair, and most importantly, he talked about everything...not just the birds.

God bless,

Jen

I just called mom...he was taking a med called Trazadone 50 mgs...at first he took one in the morning and one at night...then he went to one at night, and just last week he went off...mom said he woke at 6 and couldn't get back to sleep...wondered if it was because he quit taking it...interesting...good luck...keep me posted!

Jen

My husband takes Lunesta (after the regular Ambien stopped working) and he's been getting up during the night again lately. Sometimes he takes an ativan or xanax to help get him back to sleep. Has your Dad tried the Ambien CR? It's the pits to see how disturbed their sleep becomes.

Best of luck,

Welthy

Well, he just got back from the Dr. and they are first trying him on the Ambiem CR. Although, my feeling is that the Xanax or Ativan would be better for taking the edge off for him. I just know that this is so hard for him, and wish I was out there. We will see how this works, but he promised he would call for me. Thanks everyone for your input! God Bless!

Karen i do not know if my 2cent's worth is of any help but from what i've read in the past is that in order to sleep rest fully he will need to get his depression under control. As all here will tell you attitude is very important and then you ad all he's been through. The Chemo effect's everybody a little different, but here's hoping thing's improve.....Larry

Hello-My Mom was diagnosed with small cell in Sept-She had a very rough time. When we brought her home from the hospital she fell into a very deep depression. Her Dr put her on Zoloft and it was like a miracle. I recommend it to everyone going through this horrible disease so they can have some peace of mind. My Mom now went back home and she says she doesn't even think about dying she thinks about living everyday....I would definitely talk to his Dr about it.

Any other questions just email me....

Dar

I don't have any real advice for you but I did want to jump in to say that I hope the doctor finds something to help your dad sleep. I know how terrible you can feel when you don't have a good night's sleep.

Thank you all for your advice,

Well, I took the bull by the horn and called the Oncologist myself and I am waiting for a call back. I truly believe my Dad has a hard time talking about really the way he feels. I know his mind is racing and I know how hard this has been on him.

Thanks again everyone. God Bless! Take care of yourselves!

Thank you everyone! I was finally able to talk to my Dads oncologist today and they are prescribing an antidepressant along with Xanax for a little help. I am so glad! I think this will help him a lot right to get him through this part. Thanks again for all your advice and encouragment. What a great group. Also, the oncologist told me that many during a time like this take these type of meds, so I know he is not alone!