upset stomach/diarrhea and hair growth!

spicysashimi

Hey everybody,

Things are moving along (literally). Between the Tarceva and the oral antibiotics I take for the rash I have had the worse bouts of diarrhea and upset stomach.

I've started taking two immodium capsules every morning and night and chugging on maalox or pepto throughout the day. I'm working now and its becoming difficult to effectively represent my client when my stomach is twisted in knots and I have to run for the bathroom every hour.

Any tips/tricks from fellow LCHELP'ers? I am trying to eat lost of plain carbs (bagel with cc for bfast, noodles for dinner, etc.).

In other news, I am almost pain-free (still a couple dings in my lower back and butt) and my hair is starting to grow back! Its noticeable on my beard which has been non-existent for the past 5 months. And there are millions of little new hairs popping up in my eyebrows. Scalp is lagging behind, with minimal growth.

If I can just get this GI thing under control, I'll be pretty darn close to feeling normal.

aaron

I had constant diarrhea (nothing seend to help) starting out on Tarceva @ 150MG and it was lowered to 100MG and that did the trick--I still had great success with it for 16 months on the lower dose. Sorry can't help on the rash, I had it in the beginning but it went away soon after. Might want to ask the doctor about lowering your dose to relief some of the discomfort. Hope this helps.

Have you asked to have the antibiotic changed--or maybe you should use a topical instead of oral? The antibiotic is killing all the good bacteria in your digestive system and combined with the Tarceva it isn't good. Try eating yogurt every day to replace the bacteria and see if it helps. There are also some over the counter tablets for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS Advantage) that may help.

Aaron,

I agree with Ry that part of the problem may be the antibiotics upsetting the bacterial balance in your gut. You might want to try a probiotic which is basically the good bacteria in your bowels. It's the same stuff that's in yogurt but much more concentrated. Another thing that can be soothing and helpful is to drink aloe vera gel. You can get both from a health food store. With respect to the aloe gel, make sure you ask for the one with the laxative part removed.

You might want to check out this forum http://www.healingwell.com/community/?f=38. It's about ulcerative colitis but diarrhea is one of the main symptoms of it and is discussed at length.

Good luck and it's great to see that you're feeling better.

Shauna

Aaron,

EYEBROWS!!!! :D:D:D Yeah!!

Tony had the whole knot and diarrhea thing too. His wasn't too bad, but a little immodium went a long way with him.

Yogurt with active live cultures might help. I think there are products out there to replace the good cooties in your digestive system -- probiotics or something like that. Check with your local GNC and I'm sure they have something.

Good luck with working again. Sounds like a razor is on the horizon for you. :wink:

Welthy

Any time I take a lot of antibiotics, or take them for any length of time, I start to worry about yeast!

Now, being a man, you won't have a problem in that area :shock: , but I suppose thrish is a possibility (mouth and throat yeast). Check into that. Also, chemo seems to upset the normal stomach acids (by my own observations of postings here), and a lot of people take an acid reducer. Check that out too.

There are also prescriptions for diarrhea that are more effective than the Immodium. LoMotil is one; it's a liquid. Also, my dad had Questron prescribed for his diarrhea. It's a fiber supplement, which seems like the oposite of what you would want in that situation, but it's what the GI surgeon ordered!

But you really should have a GI consult.

~Karen

My doctor told me to do Metamucil a few times a day. Seems counter-intuitive, but he said the fiber can also bulk up stools helping with the diarrhea. I tried this for a week or so, before I stopped the Tarceva. Didn't achieve success with it at that point, but maybe if I'd been on it longer.

Also a topical antibiotic might be worth trying. I did that, not orally, and had decent results with my rash.

Good Luck.

Hi Aaron,

Glad to hear the hair is growing back in and the pain is subsiding. It's great when you really start to feel human again.

As for diarrhea, I had a terrible time with ulcerative colitis for a couple of months after my last chemo. GI prescribed Asacol (horrible name!), in addition, I take Florastor, a probiotic, twice a day. I also eat Activia yogurt every single morning because I'm superstitious now and think if I stop eating it, the diarrhea will come back. I've been fine now for almost a year, still take Minocycline and Clindamycin, and pray that the diarrhea never returns. Dealing with that truly sucked.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works.

Trish

Thanks everyone.

Lots of good ideas. I am going to definitely try eating yogurt, my shrink had the same recommendation. And I am experimenting with a lot of supplements (coriolus, b complex, selenium, co-q-10, etc.), so I might as well add a probiotic.

Welthy and SuzyQ: Actually, I do have yeast problems in the form of ... er ... jock itch. Wasn't gonna mention it but we're all family here, right? Kept under control with micanazole nitrate.

aaron

Milk is BAD .... if it's made with or out of milk .... stay away from it all together. It's the cause for cramping and the persistance of the runs. Stay away from coconut, spices and high fiber intake. There are excellent guidelines for IBS and Colitis sufferers ... follow those rules and you'll be much better.

My Dad said he saw the results within the first week or two after taking milk out of his day.

Tammy

Was going to suggest avoiding milk products, also. Ever since mom was treated for her cervical cancer she's had issues with diarrhea (BAD issues...we know all bathrooms to and from the major cities!) and she found that avoiding dairy helped when nothing else did. She actually switched to Lactaid milk and got along great using that!!

Glad to hear you're sprouting new hair!!! Let us know when the stuff of the top of your head starts coming back, too...I'm curious to see if someone so young gets the "chemo-curl" that Mom did! LOL

And, glad you have your yeastie-beasties undercontrol 'cause I woulda had a hard time coming up with an answer for you...I've never had to treat that. :wink:

Aaron,

Definitely try a probiotic...especially when you are on any antibiotic.It really is good for everybody even without yeast, ibs, bowel issues etc. Whole Foods sells Culturelle (lactobacillicusGG) in the refrigerated section near where they sell vitamins....take two a day for awhile. It should do the trick!

Kathy

Aaron,

I suffer from an annoying gut sometimes, too. Thought it isn't from Tarceva, Ry's point about the antibiotic hit home with me. My symptoms are usually exacerbated when I am on an antibiotic.

The other points help me as well - OTC IBS meds, and yogurt. I hope that you give them a try. I understand your issue with work - I deal with clients and my staff all day, and it can get a little stressful on bad stomach days.

I am really very happy to hear that you are starting to feel like yourself again. It made my day.

Aaron,

Another good supplement for yeast is caprylic acid. It'll kill the yeast bacteria and leave the good gut bacteria alone. And make sure you get the refridgerated probiotic.

A lot of us with ulcerative colitis find that there is a real pschological aspect to the urgency issue. Most of us have had "accidents" where we just don't get to the toilet in time. (Like you said, we're all family here right?) After that happens once, a person can really set themselves up for panic which in turn makes the urgency problem worse. Personally, I carry immodium and a spare pair of undies with me everywhere. It helps me feel like I'm prepared for the worst and I don't panic as much and therefore don't have accidents like I used to. If you can figure out a "safety net" for yourself to feel prepared for the worst, it'll help you feel at ease and maybe help settle your gut a little.

Hi Aaron: my husband is presently on Tarceva & is experiencing increased diarrhea. He takes Lomotil pills, 2.5mg which he's used since colon cancer surgery 14 yrs ago. He was worried about using too many & having them lose effectiveness but his onc said ok to take up to 8 per day. Oral antibiotics can exacerbate (sp?) diarrhea & wipe out good bacteria in the gut. Maurice uses a topical solution, Clindamycin Phosphate & it keeps the rash under control without messing up his gut. Hope this helps. Good Luck & God Bless

wendy

Do the Probiotics have to be refrigerated? I just bought a bottle for 20 bucks. I also bought ginger tea. Stomach still upset. Diarrhea still present. I am suspending antibiotics for a few days and I think I'll ask the doc for a topical antibiotic. Assuming the antibiotics are aggravating the stomach, this should work.

aaron