Looking for advice

Guest epatton

Guest epatton

My doctor just told me that there was a small nodule on my lung. I had no symptoms, it showed in a routing chest xray and he is sending me for a CT scan next week. I knew when he told me about it that it was not good but did not know enough to ask questions until I did some research. I called back to ask some questions but only got "generic" answers. He didn't tell me how big it was only that it was small.

I don't know which is worse the thought that I might actually have cancer or the not knowing for sure. From my research my best guess is that I have a 50% chance of having cancer and if so the best case scenario is that I have a 50% chance of surviving 5 years. Is this correct?

I have a lot of people that depend on me and I'm scared to death. I haven't said anything to my wife yet. Should I or should I wait until I know for sure? I'm looking for any solid info that I can get my hands on. Will post results next week and would appreciate any prayers that I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie

Guest browneyedgirl372

I think that you should tell your family. They could get you through this, whatever 'this' might be, and they will, I'm sure, feel better too, if they knew that you told them at the beginning, and didn't wait. I think sharing your feelings/secrets are the best things to be shared (besides maybe an ice cream cone).

You should share the information with your wife. Every experience is different, but from speaking as a wife, she should know everything from the beginning. You wil need her for support and don't allow that manly pride to take over and deprive her of one minute of being by your side if that is her choice.

Ask yourself if you would want her to keep this sort of information from you?? Time is too short to be "holding back" information while awaiting the results.

We will all be praying the outcome is a benign. Keep us posted.

As Ever,

It will be better for both of you. You need the support and worse case, she can be semi prepared for whatever the outcome and hopefully this is not cancer and you will both grow closer from the experiance. I know my Step Mom, wants to know everything and be there for him. When he leaves her out, it hurts her. If she married you, it means she loves and cares about you and would want to be there for you. I am keeping you in my thoughts.

Hi Eddie,

It is best to level with your wife/family right now. Keeping it inside will only make it harder on your self and your family. You will need your wife’s/family’s support depending on the diagnoses. Wait and see before you jump to conclusions. Take one day at a time; take one step at a time. I know the wait is hard but it takes time for the doctor’s to sort everything out. And yes we are all scared when it comes to cancer. That's normal. Hope this helps my friend. Take care and God Bless.

Rich

PS: The hell with the statistics.

Hey Ed, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. We all head right to the stats and they stink. When I talk to the doctors, they are far more encouraging then the stats. Just remember that whatever it is, small is a very good thing. This is a very scary and lonely road. You will need your wife and she will need you. Be thankful that you have someone to tell. My husband has Alzheimer's and depends on me for everything but gives nothing in return. Tell your wife immediately. It's a hard road for all involved. If it turns out to be LC you will be one of the lucky ones having found it early. It isn't a death sentence, just a big pain in the *ss. Or more accurately, a big pain in the ribs.

Eddie, tell your wife NOW. And take her to all your appts. I was with my husband when we were told he probably had lung cancer - in the emergency room of the hospital, and believe me, even though it was quite a shock, I was able to be with him, literally and figuratively, from the very beginning which has been very important.

Also please don't look at the statistics like that. Statistics are only numbers, not people. My husband looked at the stats when his diagnoses was confirmed and it took him only a day or two to decide that stats had nothing to do with him. Say only 10% of folks survived five years - well, why can't YOU be part of that 10%? And the only way to be part of that 10% is to decide you will be, to pray, think positive, and do everything you possibly can do to make sure you're getting the best treatment possible. Do your research, ask questions, know what's going on, and do be a partner with your doctors and nurses.

Best of luck and I truly hope and pray that you do not have cancer. But if you do, you CAN survive it!

Warm wishes,

Karen C.

wife of 39 year old Dave C - diagnosed March 03 with SCLC limited - after six rounds of chemo, six weeks of chest radiation and 15 days of preventative brain radiation, we THINK the monster has been beaten into remission!

We're also new parents to a beautiful baby girl from China - a big something to live for!

Guest epatton

Had my CT today and to my dissappointment did not find out anything. Was told that the results would be sent to my doctor and he would contact me. Checked with my doctor and was told it would be a few days to a week.

One question, if anyone knows the answer. After the initial scan I was told to wait to see if they needed to do another scan with dye. After about 15 minutes they came back and said that they were finished. Any significance to not having the test with the dye? Why would the do a test with dye?

Thanks for the encouraging words. It has really helped get me through the last few days. Prayers go out to all who are here. Whatever the results I intend to keep up with the board and return the favor to whoever I can help.

Eddie.

Eddie,

As far as I know, all the dye does is make things stand out a bit clearer on your CT. Where I go, they automatically want to give you the dye but I always refuse it since they never seem to have a problem reading mine without it.

I think the dye gives a clearer definition. The fact that you didn't need the dye probably just means that the CT was clear and there was no need for additional clarity.

I know the waiting for results is the worst...wish I could give you some helpful hints but I don't have any. Waiting sucks but its something we all have to do unfortunately!! Good luck and please post your results when you hear them!!

From my research my best guess is that I have a 50% chance of having cancer and if so the best case scenario is that I have a 50% chance of surviving 5 years. Is this correct?

No!!! The vast majority of singular lung nodules found on chest xray are benign. And even if it is cancer, a single nodule will typically be early-stage cancer, which is quite curable with surgery and chemo.

Be hopeful, my friend, and yes, as the others have said, share your situation with your wife. I would want to know if my spouse were going through this. You need her support, Eddie. Good health to you.

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie...

Every time I cross a street in the Washington metropolitan area, I have a 1 in 10 chance of being hit by a car. During rush hour traffic - my odds increase to 1 in 5. On a Friday and/or a Saturday night at just a little after midnight, the odds are 1 in 2 that I'll be hit by a drunk driver. Do you suppose that I should stop crossing streets?

As a cancer survivor myself I'd urge you to stop looking at statistics (sadistics) and focus on living life.

I also think that if all these years you've allowed your wife to do your laundry (and presumably your undies), that it may be appropriate for you to tell her about your potential condition. Fair is fair.

Think positive and you might just live to see another day...

Welcome Eddie,

When I read your post, I remembered the impact that the first time the C word was mentioned to my husband and I. It instills so much fear and devastation. But whatever you do, do not resign yourself to defeat before you know the facts. From what I have heard, seen, and researched, there is a high rate of recovery for limited early stage lung cancer. With the combination of surgery and chemo/radiation, I've read that the curability rate is as high as 90% for single small lesions. In my opinion, one reason why Lung Cancer has such cruddy statistics is because so few people are diagnosed early. There usually are no symptoms or indicators of LC until it is advanced. The fact that your doctor noticed this nodule while it is small and isolated is a miracle and a testament to a quality physician.

I can't tell you how to keep the fear and worry at bay. That I think is impossible. But please do not take the statistics to heart. You are not a statistic, you are a unique individual with specific situations. It sounds like you were detected early and have every chance and hope to be a long term survivor. I will be praying for you. Hold onto hope, you can beat this.

Carleen