VERY CONCERNED ABOUT MY SIS

Howdy!

I am concerned because she has started her 2nd round of chemo and this Monday she told me she has to get a blood transfusion next Monday. This scares me and I'm not sure I understand. As far as I know this means she is anemic. I know she hasn't been eating very much. I'm very scared. I need some help here. Sorry. Have been reading but not posting. Thank you.

Lucy,

I'm sorry you are having a tough time right now. What is going on can be scary, but there can be a lot of positives in this fight as well.

My mom had to have several units of blood when her hemoglobin levels were too low. They got her back on track, and it is not an issue now. The doctors will generally monitor all of a patient's lab results, and plan accordingly. Sometimes they may need a shot to boost red blood counts, white blood counts, or something to deal with low hemoglobin.

I hope your sister is doing better soon. I'll include her in my prayers.

:) Kelly

Lucy...

I know it seems really scary, but chemo can really play heck with the blood counts and it actually sounds like they're keeping on top of it before it becomes a problem which is MUCH better than trying to play catch-up later! Quite a few people who've gone through chemo have also gotten transfusions along the way.

As far as eating goes...anything that sounds good, even if it's milkshakes!!

Much love and many prayers for your sister to get feeling better and have great results from treatment!!

Howdy!

Thank you so much for responding. I was able to talk to one of the medical consultants (Dr.'s) that I work with and they explained this to me also. I appreciate it so much.

My sis is in Northern Calif. and I am in Southern Calif. I talk to her on the phone almost everyday. When I here such things I get nervous and ascared.

I will be flying up to see her next weekend. I'm not a very good writer and I would like to share. Right now I don't have the umph to tell you what our story is. But I will. From what I have read so far. You guys are awesome. It has helped me tremendously these past few weeks and I thank you.

LucysHope,

I am glad that the medical cons. was able to ease your mind. We all know what the mind can do.:) I hope you come and tell your story. I also am not good with words like some others here but if I can just help one person than I have done my job. Coming here helps me deal with alot. Enjoy your trip to your sisters.

Lucyshope,

Let us know how your sis does with the transfusion. Please know that this is a very loving and supportive board so please feel free to share as you are ready. It's so easy to feel helpless as you watch someone you love deal with this evil disease.

Susan