Introducing Myself!

GinnyB

I've been lurking for a while...and I want you all to know what a comfort you have been - Thanks! When I was first diagnosed, with limited SCLC, I was advised by a dear friend to NOT read the internet, because it would scare the stuffing out of me, and it wouldn't mean anything anyway, since most statistics are 5+years old, and they don't have anything to do with me anyway....For the most part, I resisted. Until lately. Which is how I found this group, fortunately.

Yesterday, results of the 2nd CT scan since end of treatment shows a slight enlargement of 1 lymph node (40%)to a size of 3.9cm x 2.3cm. I didn't think that was too bad until I looked at a ruler! No other signs or indications in the lungs or liver, scheduled for a bone/brain scan although the dr. tells me it won't make any difference, because the treatment will be the same.

Dr. tells me "not to worry", 85% of SCLC comes back for a second line of treatment - HUH? NOT WORRY?????? I think I should be entitled to worry!

Oh, and yes, I stopped smoking on diagnosis - the chicken way....intubated and unconscious for 3 weeks...doesn't mean I don't still WANT to smoke, but I'm committed to staying smoke free now...I want to live more than smoke! (Funny how that works!)

Any advice or words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ginny,

Welcome to the site. You are right about the statistics. They are based on old results and so are the statements coming from your doctor. I don’t think there is a doctor that can tell you with any accuracy what the new drugs may do. You may also be different than any one else. Worry is thinking negative thoughts about the results of something that will happen in the future. Fortunately you can do things to effect that out come. You just have to believe that your treatment will work and keep on fighting.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

GinnyB,

Welcome to the site. You have come to an amazing place. I agree that stats can really scare you, and that is why coming here, where we can get REAL stories of survival, help us to see that we CAN beat this disease. May you be blessed with healing!

Blessings,

Jen

Welcome Ginny,

You're a great writer and we welcome your wit. You'll find so much support and love on this site. My husband also has sclc and Ernie is so right. Everyone is so different and the docs have no clue who is going to respond how. Hang in there. Congrats on the NO SMOKING.

Blessings to you and yours.

Welcome Ginny!

I'm glad you found us. I think it is good to have as much knowledge as you can about your disease and how to fight it. Fortunately you know that the statistics are outdated. A great resource for information on treatments, drugs and research is

www.onctalk.com

Dr. West does a great job of translating a lot of the science so we can understand it. Check it out!

Susan