Shortness of Breath

bam451

My mom is currently on her second round of Alimpta and Avastin. She is having extreme shortness of breath this weekend. Is there anything that can be done to help? She had been feeling so much better lately. She is having another Ct scan tomorrow and it seems that the weekend before her scans she seems to be miserably sick. I'm wondering if part of it is that she tenses up which makes her feel worse. Anyway, I wasn't sure what can be done with shortness of breath. She also gets a shart pain when she takes a deep breath. This isn't the first time it has happened, but it usually goes away pretty fast. This has been going on since yesterday afternoon. It's in the upper 90's here in Chicago. I don't know if the humidity has something to do with it as well.

I would Recommend Er ASAP to be safe. THis may be nothin and it could be everything. Go to ER to be safe, is my opinion

I agree with Randy and hope you already have mom at the Emergency Room. This could be nothing but anxiety but it could also be a collapsed lung or something of that nature. I have had both and though neither is fun the anxiety is easier to treat and deal with. Please let us know what you find out. Prayers are being said for you and your mom.

Thanks for your responses. No, mom isn't in the ER. She doesnt want to go. She always says "it is what it is." This isn't the first time it's happened. She had it once before (since starting Alimpta). I don't know. It's frustrating. I've gone home now.. she said she felt like she was breathing a little bit better. I guess I'll see how she feels in the morning. It very well could be anxiety.. I know how stressed we get the week of a test. I'll let you all know what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for listening!

Bam,

Alimta has been causing my husband a lot of shortness of breath since he started. And yes, the heat and humidity here doesn't help things.

Do be aware that blood clots or pleural effusion cause cause SOB to happen. His SOB has been fairly constant since the Alimta started, so bear that in mind. It is not spiking here and there. Might want to give the Doctor a call and explain what is happening with your Mom. I hope she is in A/C while we are dealing with the heat here.

Warm Regards,

Welthy

Bam: if by extreme shortness of breath, you mean your mother has trouble just walking across the room, she should see a doctor right away.

It is good that she is having a ct scan today. Maybe she should ask her doctor about the possibility of chemo induced inflammation (alergic reaction) in her lungs. I think it should show on the ct scan if there is inflammation.

Don M

Well, I didn't sleep good last night. I kept worrying that the phone was going to ring and it was going to be my dad. I try to talk her into calling the doctor sometimes and she just doesnt budge. I don't want to be too pushy, but she's my mom. And I love her and I don't want to see her uncomfortable. She did have trouble after walking up the stairs yesterday but today when she went to the Ct scan, she said she walked up 40 steps and was o.k. She told the tech that she had been having this problem and they told her after that it didn't appear that she had any blood clots or anything. THey wouldnt have let her leave the hosp. I was afraid that was going to happen. But she's back home and I guess we wait until Friday when she goes for the results. Ah, the week of waiting. Full of stress. I'm trying so hard to relax.. I spent many months with horrible stress and anxiety. But my hubby and I are trying to have a baby and I know the stress isn't good. It's just not that easy sometimes to not stress. I guess I just get tired of worrying about her all the time. I hope that's not a selfish comment. My mom is my best friend in the world. We do everything together and I just want it to go back the way it was. Don't we all!! Thanks for your help and listening to me rant.