My Eyes

spicysashimi

Sorry to hear the news. My mom had a friend who had a metastasis to the eye. She continued to live at least three more years. I believe she survived longer than my mom (I do not know her current friend's status).

There is some research and trials of melatonin and radiotherapy. You could ask the Dr what they think of this.

Human Studies

Disease Response and/or Survival: Non-Blinded Randomized Controlled Trials

35Lissoni P, Barni S, Ardizzoia A, Tancini G, Conti A, Maestroni G. A randomized study with the pineal hormone melatonin versus supportive care alone in patients with brain metastases due to solid neoplasms. Cancer 1994 Feb;73(3):699-701.

Purpose: Survival.

Type of Study: RCT.

Methods: (Brain metastasis from various solid tumors) The study included 50 patients with brain metastases who progressed after radiation therapy and chemotherapy with nitrosureas. Patients were randomized to either supportive care alone (steroids and anticonvulsants) or standard care plus melatonin (20 mg/day at 8 pm) until progression of metastases. Treatment groups were comparable.

Results: The mean number of months free-from brain metastasis progression was significantly longer in the melatonin group (5.9 +/- 0.8 versus 2.7 +/- 1.06, p<0.05) as was survival at one year (9/24 vs 3/26, p<0.05). When analyzed by type of primary cancer, only those with a single brain metastasis from lung cancer maintained a significant difference (6/10 vs 2/12).

Take care

Hang in there Aaron. I know you must be very frightened. I know I would be. It sounds like you have an excellent medical team and that you're going to get the best possible treatment. You're such a fighter -- keep it up.

You're in my prayers...

Aaron,

I'm sorry to read your post. This disease is relentless. I hate it. Cancer sucks! I'm with you on the scared and confused part but try to regroup and pick yourself up again. Try the next thing. We have to do the best we can and that's all we can do. I'm thinking of you and praying for you.

Take Care,

Rachel