Chest Pain

Leslie

Hi all--

The night before last, my dad awoke at 4:30 am with pain across his upper chest. He says it felt like "someone pressing on a bruise in his chest" and he described it as a "deep throbbing ache" that pulsates with his heart. He says it radiates down to his lower back. After getting up to read about symptoms of a heart attack online, he decided he was not having a heart attack and managed to go back to sleep. He says he has had variations of this type of pain before but it was mainly in his lower back. This was the first time he had pain of this intensity and for this duration--and the first time the pain was in his chest.

Yesterday, after much convincing, he went to the ER. He was still having episodes of the pain--but now it is more sparodic. After several tests (including a CT scan), they ruled out heart problems and they ruled out blood clots. Nevertheless, the episodes of pain continues.

Anyone have similar experiences? He is supposed to have his first PET scan today to see what effect the chemo is having. I am terrified that this could be a bone met on his spine that is causing pain to radiate to his chest....

Please let me know if you have had any experience with pain similar to this.

Thank you, as always, for you thoughts.

Leslie

ask about a Pleural effusion. This is very common in cancer patients and is treated with a small incision in the pericardial sac to drain out fluid around the heart. My late wife had one done and it helped tremndously. I think EKG is used to detect this problem... Keep us posted. HTis is my first thought for the symtoms listed. easy surgery with couple days in ICU for monitoring...

Hi, Leslie:

Has your dad started a new exercise routine, or perhaps been doing some work around the house or office, that used chest muscles which have been idle for a while? I know it sounds implausible, but I had something similar (though not in the chest).

After I finished my "hard" chemo program and started feeling better on Avastin alone, one evening I noticed a rather sudden and sharp pain or ache near the base of the spine, extending left and right to where the 2 back pockets are normally located. It became continuous and pulsated with every heartbeat, not especially severe on a scale of 1 to 10, but psychologically disturbing because of the always-feared cancer connection. I mentioned it to my wife, who reminded me that I'd just started riding my stationary bike again after a break of several months. At first I discounted that as an explanation, since it didn't feel like other sore/strained muscles I'd had in the past, but it gradually went away over the next 3 or 4 days and I'm now convinced she was right. One of those treasured "features" of old age combined with the slow healing induced by Avastin! :)

I hope it's something like that with your dad. Aloha,

Ned

hi Ned, that is very interesting. The heartbeat synchronization is DEFINITELY something he has noted. He notes its in his back and on the big event, was across his chest.

As you said, as well, its painful, but not overwhelmingly so. However, he's been having occassional bouts (temporary events) of this for several weeks or so. Two nights ago was the first time it was persistent (lasted for over an hour).

So he was at the ER until late last night. He had a CAT scan, EKG and X rays. The ER Dr. said the event is not heart related, there were no blood clots (that he could see), there was very little effusion or liquid around the heart. In other words, he didn't know what the problem was.

Not to mention, Dr. West said that it didnt sound cancer or chemo related either.

Anyhow, he also had his first PET/CT follow-up today, so we have a lot of info coming soon.

Obviously after having to hang out at the ER till 1 AM last night and then have scans this morning, he is EXHAUSTED.

The fatigue could be RBC's These are the energy shots and sometimes may take a day or so to kick in. Glad they are aggresively treating the Problems and Hope it is nothing serious...

Leslie,

I hesitate to make suggestions when I'm certainly not a doctor , but I have heard of these symptons with Aranesp shots... You might want to ask about it or at least research it for yourself. How serious it is , I don't know , but I do know I've known of patients having chest pain with them. I would at least check it out.

Sue

Just my experience with the white blood count shot. My husband had the Neulasta which works the same as the Neupagen shot.

He had horrible pain and had to go to the hospital because of it. They change the frequency that they were giving it to him and it really made a differece.

I read what Sue said to you and that triggered what happen to him.

I noticed in his profile that he received 2 shots not far from each other before his last episode.

Just a thought. Keep us posted.

Maryanne

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for responding. The pain seems to have diminished somewhat...My dad's oncologist is on vacation and gets back on Tuesday...I can hardly wait for him to get home. :D

We find out the results of the PET scan this week. Please, please keep your fingers crossed for us...we need some positive thoughts coming our way!

Best,

Leslie

• 1 month later...

I have the same pain and it hurts, I can't an answer to it yet, I have an CT-SCAN scheduled and I will meet again after 3 months off of Chemo with my doctor and I will question this new pain. I call it new as I didn't have it until after I complete Chemo and He added an new drug, in order to attempt to increase my outcomes by 10%.The Drug was AVASTIN