Lucky to have found this board

luvmydad

My dad told me last week that he has lung cancer. He goes tomorrow morning (Oct. 2, 2007) for his biopsy. Since he told me, I have been able to only fear the worst. It all still seems like a horrible nightmare that I can't wake from. My father is only 61 years old, and is this big 6'2", 225lb, healthy looking man. How can this be??? What will he have to endure? How does anyone get through this???

I may not be the most religous person, or have lived a perfect life: however, I do beleive in God and the power of prayer. Please add my father to the others who have the unfortunate need to be here and in the need of prayer.

I must say that this place is one of encouragement, hope, and love. I am thankful to have been directed to it. I will update you with the outcome of my fathers biopsy as soon as we get the results. I am hopeful that it will not be as bad as I fear.

Teresa

Welcome Theresa. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Please let us know. It will probably be a few days before a plan is in place. The waiting is hard. I do believe prayers are very important. I know it was all the prayers of my family and church and the great doctors I had that let me tell you that I am nearly a 10 year survivor.

Donna G

Welcome Teresa, I am glad you found our board. After your father has the biopsy you will have a better idea what you are dealing with. Once you know his stage and treatment plan, let us know and we can help with any questions.

Rochelle

Hi, Teresa, welcome to the community. The first few weeks are the hardest, with all the tests, consultations, and uncertainty. Things are usually easier to handle after treatment gets underway.

Give us your dad's diagnosis specifics and treatment plan soon as you have the info. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Teresa,

Welcome. I remember well the parapyzing fear that comes after this diagnosis. But it is possible to get through this and while it is no picnic, I think the experience on this board is a testament to the fact that treatment may not be as bad as you fear.

First--take a deep breath and see what results you get from the biopsy.

Second--don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

Third--if the biopsy shows cancer don't let anyone give your father an "expiration date." LC at ALL stages is treatable.

I'll be thinking about you today and will say a prayer for a good result for your father.

Susan