hereditary

angelofcharlie20

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows how much hereditary plays in lung cancer. My Father had non small cell and was a non smoker. I'm a hypochondriac by nature and don't know what I can do to help myself considering symptoms don't appear until the cancer is pretty advanced.

Any insight is welcome. I would love to know that I am not alone in this paranoia. My Father's one year anniversary just past and this is constantly on my mind: the "what if" I have it but I don't know it.

A little background on me. I'm 26 and have never smoked before (not that that has anything to do with it.)

Ciao,

Shirley

YOu may want to link up to Dr. West, our resident LC oncologist, for lots of great info on this subject. Links to his site can be found here Just click on the link and be redirected to his site..

http://www.onctalk.com/post/

Registration is free and advice and insight is priceless!! :)

Hi, Shirley:

Hypochondriacs are welcome! I think all of us with or near cancer develop tendencies in that direction.

I believe genetics does play a role, but I doubt if anyone knows for sure how much. There was no cancer in my family, except my father, who died "with but not from" prostate cancer, not uncommon for guys in their 80s.

My advice would be to enjoy life to the fullest, make every day count, be health conscious but not obsessively so, be vigilant about any respiratory problems that come up, push for a chest x-ray and/or CT scan if you're not satisfied (many docs don't even think of lung cancer if a young nonsmoker comes in with a cough or shortness of breath), and realize that with every passing day lung cancer becomes more of a manageable chronic condition and less of a death sentence.

Aloha,

Ned

I don't know if there is a % or how much is linked to lung cancer being hereditary, but I had 4 doctor's tell me that mine was (also) caused do to hereditary.

I lost my father, mother, sister, uncle, and grandfather to lung cancer. I might add we were all smokers.

I also have heard that having cancer in your family, (of any kind) like heart disesase can and is passed down through the genes.

I know of many many many people that there mother had breast cancer, father had colon cancer, grandfather had prostate cancer and then they (themselves) were dx.d with lung cancer, (never smokers).

Lung Cancer is NOT just a smokers disease. Radon is the 2nd cause of lung cancer.

Hey Shirley

I cannot add to what we already talked about before but wanted to say...

WELCOME BACK TO THE BOARD!!

You got some great answers here, I hope they help put your mind at ease or at least give you some insight to your next move.

I am so glad to see your post.

Hugs

Chris

They don't seem to know too much about it right now and unfortunately there is no genetic testing for it. I had genetic testing the other week for breast/ovarian cancer b/c of family history, but they said no current testing for lung.

My dad went to doc because he was coughing up blood in the mornings and the chest x-ray they did came back all clear. Had he not insisted on a ct scan they would not have found the 3cm mass in his right lung that was not found on the x-ray. To say the least I don't have alot of faith in x-rays. However, I to have considered getting ct scans, but am curious as to how often to get them. Is a yearly ct scan safe? On the flip side, dad had one 2 years ago and there was nothing there then, so is 2 years too long to wait? I hate to have to think that I have to spend everyday of the rest of my life worring about getting lc also.

Anecdotaly, it sure seems to me like there could be a link. Between people here with histories like Bill's family, and my own family's experience... Two or three of Mom's maternal Uncle's had LC, 1 or 2 of her Paternal Uncle's. All of my grandparents siblings including him succombed to some form of cancer, and four of my Mom's 7 siblings (her included in that number) have battled cancer.

Sometimes it feels like for me it's an issue of 'when' and not 'if.'

I hope you aren't telling your son these things. You should really focus more on positive things. I can't imagine worrying about something so much that may but probably won't happen. I really believe that if you think about something constantly, your mind will eventually give in and give it to you.

Of course I have not talked to my son about this. Give me a little credit please!!!!! Until you suffer from hypochondria you have now idea what it is like for those of us who do. And having cancer enter my life did not help me any, nor the fact that my father was adopted and I don't know what his family history is.

Isn't there something you can take for your illness? Paxil or something. I am not trying to be insensitive, but that way of life has got to be extrememly stressful and I do not think it has to be necessary if there is something to help you with it.

I know people at work who are hyperchondriacs and I feel really sorry for them. There is one lady here with twins, who takes her kids to the doctor at least once a week. I wonder if this doesn't spread to the kids..that is why I made my statement about your son.

As I read over my posts, I realized that they seem angry and I have to apologize. I guess maybe I am in that "angry" stage after just losing my sister. I probably should not post anymore until I am through this stage.

AGAIN, MY APOLOGIES to all who are affected with this stressful and sad disease.

Bobby

I think being "angry" is ok. Emotions - no matter good or bad are ok. Emotions are normal.

I can relate to Teresa, it's very hard to think positive when I spent so much time watching my Father get sicker and sicker.

However, I do think that over obsessing over it isn't healthy, but I think some troublesome thoughts are and are normal.

This thought has affected me since the one year anniverary just past. It's really tough to think that a tumor could be growing in me right now and that I won't have any symptoms until it is quite advanced. I'm going to be honest, since I've been thinking about this, I've been having what I call some "odd" sensations in my left arm and just random pains. It could be gas (sorry TMI) or it could be something else. I don't know about the rest of you, but the unknown is quite mysterious and it isn't always good.

Dear Angelofcharlie20,

Every Day is an UNKNOWN! You could be becoming a heart disaese patient, or a chrones disease patient, or diabitic, or luekima patient or just about anything for that matter. It's all an unknown. That's life and part of life is death.

Worring about something you THINK you might or might not get, isn't going to make things easy for you. Your little brain committee is going to be working overtime. :wink:

Do your preventitive options for your health issues and move on and enjoy life. Yestereday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.