moms birthday is coming up

crystleshoe

I looked at the calendar today and realized that my moms birthday is next Sat and was struck by the thought that I hadnt got her present yet and at the same instant was hit by the reality that I didnt have a mom to buy a present for this year. Last year she was in the hospital but she was still here for us to celebrate her day. How will I ever make it thru the holidays? Sometimes my family just continues on as if things havent changed and I feel like I am the only one still crying to myself in the car and in the shower or anytime I have a few minutes to think of how much I miss her and still need her. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can still celebrate her day(and the holidays) and not let the sadness overwhelm us.

I'm so sorry this snuck up on you. Seems like things like that happen to me all the time.

I don't have any great ideas of what to do, just a caution of what NOT to do. Mom's birthday was just a month after she died. I tried to bury my head in the sand, didn't talk to my brothers, or mention it to anyone. It messed me up. Now I wish I had gone out to dinner with my brothers, or something, and celebrated her life. I was just too muuh of a coward this year.

Blessings to you as you go through this week.

Kelly

Guys are such fixers...so you asked for ideas...

What did mom like?

My mother liked gardening and fixing things around the house herself.

So I took the week off and did just that. It was still sad when I stepped back and saw all the new plants and flag stones etc and I couldn't show mom, but at the same time I felt close to her doing work like she did work.

When the holidays come, I put mom's wine glass on the counter and pour some wine in it, liek she's there with me...because I really would prefer to do holiday meals like we used to...and that's me letting her know that.

And then I have my moments during these times where I am just uncontrollably sad...but mom sees how much I loved and missed her.

But if there is something she loved...maybe you can derive the same enjoyment and feel connected to her.

Thanx so much you guys. I think I have decided to write my mom a letter and tell her how much I appreciate all of the life lessons she taught me and how much I miss her and all the other things i wish that I could have told her. Im going to attach it to a balloon and let it go at her grave. I am going to do this all alone because I want it to be just for her (and cuz I hate to cry in front of other people).

Nick... great idea to do something she loved. She always made crossstich quilts for a babys first birthday and there are a few babies who wont get one this year so I think that i am going to finish the ones she started for them and put her "made with love from Mimi" tag on them. I hope that she will guide me as I havent done cross stitch before.