Need advice about chemotherapy

Thelma J.

Welcome Thelma. You will find many here who will offer much info for you. Sounds like you are on the right road. To help us help you better, fill out a Profile ~ like what you see under all our names. Look at the top of this page in the purple section and you will see My Profile. Just click on that and follow the directions. By doing that, we will be able to answer your questions better. For now, we would probably want to know what kind of chemo you'll be having and what stage you are.

Glad you found this site. You'll get the answers to many of your questions.

Kasey

Hi Thelma

I had the upper lobe of my left lung removed in September. I was classed as stage 1b and now I am having 4 rounds of adjuvant chemotherapy. If this is similar to what you had, I may be able to let you know my experience with it. There are alot of members here who have had experience with this type of chemo that were great in helping me out.

Hi Thelma and welcome. The fact that you have had surgery is a very positive sign since upon diagnosis a lot of people are not candidates for surgery.

The new protocol is to follow up with chemo to get any micro cells that may still be there.

How you react to chemo will depend a lot on which combination of chemo drugs you get, but keep in mind there are anti nausea drugs that can help. Some drugs will make you loose your hair and your oncologist is the best person to advise you of possible side effects.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress

wendyr

Thelma,

I have not had chemo, but my 77 year-old mom did chemo last year for stage IV NSCLC. She did four rounds of Carboo/Taxol from Feb-May and did really well with it. While it wasn't a walk in the park, it wasn't nearly as bad as she expected. She achieved a good result--1/3 shrinkage of the primary tumor and stable results since then. She has been on no treatment since May and as you can see from the photo below (taken at Thanksgiving) she doesn't look sick at all. She did lose her hair, but it has grown back--curly where it used to be stick straight. You can read my profile below for all the details. I know there will be others who will give your their first hand experience, but I wanted you to hear about a 77 year-old woman who did fine!

Susan