Shortness of breath

Max L

Good morning all. Have a question regarding shortness of breath. Since I had my upper left lobe removed 12/7/2007, I am still experiencing shortness of breath. I do have heart disease, but my blood test has been excellent with Cholesterol 118, Triglycerides 101, and HDL versus LDL is 2.4% which is really good, but perhaps the combination of both the lung operation and heart disease makes a difference. Anyway I just purchased a Nintendo Wii, which I highly recommend to anyone, and when I use that I have no problem and it is a good exercise tool. Also doing approx. 30 minutes at a 2.7 level on treadmill is also fine. I have felt it at times doing a little extra work around house and store but for a short period of time. It is the worst when Inez and I are out in the evening air and walking. It is almost impossible to walk any distance at all before this occurs. Wondering if anyone having the same operation as me, has had the same problem. Other than this Inez and I are doing fine. Please take care, keep fighting and never never give up. Have a wonderful day.

Hi Max-

Sorry to hear about your increased SOB - I have been experiencing the same thing and its really scary sometimes. Mine seems the worse doing stairs and if I have been laying down and get up and start walking. Funny thing - I was out in the yard and the fresh air DID not seem to bother me at all.

I had no surgery so I cannot comment on that but I am wondering if you are on any chemo?? My SOB is from Alimta which is the chemo I am on and its a big side effect of that. Just a thought.....

I hope you can figure out the problem and continue to do well. I hear from a friend that the WIs are GREAT!!

Keep us posted - Hugs - Patti B.

Patti, no I am not on any chemo. The air during the day does not bother me as much as at night, in fact, hardly at all. Forgot about stairs, but I really never did too well walking up stairs, walking down was just fine. Have an appointment with new pulmonologist in a few weeks and will see what he says. Thanks for your concern.

Max,

My surgery was over five years ago and I'm still experiencing some shortness of breath. I can walk on a level surface (home/office/mall), but a hint of an incline wears me out. Stairs about kill me - and that's the LANDING of the first flight!

I spoke with my general practitioner about it at my annual appointment last week and have completed a cardio stress test and am scheduled for a pulmonary function test at the end of the month. While on the treadmill for the stress test, once the incline was increase, the blood/oxygen level dipped. It appears that exertion and breathing are not as easily mixed as they once were!

I have found that heavier air is far harder to breath, I almost feel as if I'm drowning. Cold air is a horrible experience, as well - it almost burns and feels too thin to breathe...

I'm not sure the fix, just wanted you to know you're not alone. If I get a fix, I'll share!

Thankyou Snowflake for sharing your experiences. Sometimes you do feel it is only happening to you and this support group makes you feel that there are many out there to help you along. Will keep you informed as to my progress.

Max, I had my entire left lung removed many moons ago and also had SOB. However, I did build my lung capacity back up to 98% with simple walking. It does take time even having a lobe removed to build that capacity up again. It's a slow proccess, but it will come back in time. It's only been 4 months that you had your surgery, so it's still early.

Max,

I had my upper left lobe removed last May 31st and have had occasional sob ever since. My pulmonary function test is "mildly abnormal," so I don't think it's really a lung capacity issue.

Originally I thought it was anxiety but I can't really document that. My internist thought maybe I had allergy related asthma but asthma medications did nothing for me so I stopped them.

I still have bouts of shortness or breath but now I just tend to ignore them and they pass in a few minutes.

Linda

Max: The fact that you don't have the SOB when you are exercising with the Wii suggested to me it might be outdoor allergies. But then you said in another post, it's worse at night and hardly a problem at all during the day. I'd look for leads in Snowflake's post--check the route you walk. Is there even a gradual incline? Also, I see you are from Arizona and you are supposed to have practically no humidity there. I'd still check, is the humidity higher at night (Snowflake talks about heavier air being a problem) or does it get cold at night?

Hope the doctor gives you some real answers.

Judy in Key West

Hi Judy

Even though it is supposed to be dry in Arizona there is still a certain amount of humidity, plus the night air, at least to me, seems heavier. Am going to my cardiologist tomorrow, and the pulmonologist in a few weeks. Am sure we will figure something out between all of us. Inez is taking great care of me, so am not too worried. Hope things are well with you. Thankyou for your concern. Keep fighting and never give up.

Hi Max, I live in Phoenix and near Banner Thunderbird Medical in Glendale. Our air lately has not been the best to breath. It should improve soon.

Others have shared some good info. You are looking to build endurance first. Just go slow and do the distance. The pace will come. Ask the pulmonary Dr. if a Pulmonary Rehab would be in order and covered by your insurance. A good one with exercise and classes could teach you so much to get an edge on this sooner. Proper breathing methods, nutrition, exercises, etc.

Good luck to you and hope you get good reports from your 2 upcoming dr appointments.

Hi Mary...Nice to know we are neighbors. Stop by to see us. Inez and I own and operate an antique and collectible store called Second Debut, 59th Ave & Palmaire, 2 blocks north of Glendale Ave, across from the Spicery Tea Room. Open Wed - Sat 11-4. Anyway, thankyou for your input. Had to drop my pulmonologist Dr Rottering, as her assistant and office staff were negligent, rude and uncaring. They were supposed to set me up for Pulminary Rehab but never did. Will be seeing a new pulmonologist, Dr Steve Nathan in a few weeks and maybe he will do just that. You are right the air in Glendale and downtown Phoenix has not been too good and this is probably one of the reasons I have had difficulty breathing. Had my operation at Banner Thunderbird by Dr Camilla Mican who I would highly recommend. Thankyou again for your caring. Please do stop by and say hello.

Max, What a small small world. I know Dr Rottering. Good doctor. I have never been a patient of hers. I have listened to her speak and talked with some of her patients and know she is liked. Don't know Dr Nathan. Some of these Drs are getting so busy and just having problems. We are having good and bad experiences.

WOWW!! Dr Mican is who my husband has seen and if all goes well, she will be doing his surgery. She already came highly recommended. What more can we ask, another happy patient. Seriously, we understand she is very good.

All my husband's doctors are around the Banner hospital and so she prefers to come there and do the surgery. He goes to Palo Verde Oncology on Eugie. I will keep the information and see how things go for getting out to see you. This cyberspace is not always such a big place after all. :) Take care Max and just go slow.

Mary this really is a small world. I also must add that this support group has been an exceptionally big help as has the support group that I attend for prostate cancer. There really are some wonderful people around who are there when you need them the most. Yes, Drs Rottering and Mican are excellent. I would recommend Dr Mican to anyone,and I do not recommend doctors easily. My oncologist is in Marina Del Rey, California, so you see, I go wherever I feel I get the best treatment. Will take you advice and go slow.Good luck to your husband, he is in good hands. Do pay Inez and I a visit at our store. We would love to talk. Have a good evening, never give up and always stay as positive as you can.

Thankyou Christine for your best wishes to Inez and I. I think we will get to the bottom of this SOB as my cardiologist has me scheduled for a stress test next Monday and I will be seeing the pulmonologist May 4 and hopefully between them we might get an answer. Always nice to hear from you Christine. This support group is not only necessary, but is also a wonderful and thoughtful bunch.