Tough Guy

Well Tom had his 5th round of Carbo/Taxol yesterday and a Neulasta shot today. I am pretty sure the pain will kick in again by tomorrow. He is plagued by the hiccups again tonight as well.

I did not stay with him for this last chemo but Tom tells me it took 5 nurses 18 tries over 2 hours to get a line for the IV. His veins kept collapsing. He refuses to get a port though so he is putting himself through the agony of getting stuck. Where did Mr. Tough Guy go after chemo? To work of course. He seems to be a glutton for punishment.

The Onc was amazed at Tom's progress. He says this is the first time that he has seen anyone react so well and so fast to chemo.

Here is hoping that the MRI gives us the green light for radiation.

Denise

Oh I just cringed when I read that it took them so many tries to get the IV in..how terrible it makes an already yucky situation.

I'm glad that he's able to get a good day in before the pain kicks in! I had to smile at "Mr Tough Guy"...our loved ones are amazing, aren't they??

Here's hoping right along with you that the MRI looks good and radiation is a go!!!

Lots of thoughts and prayers comin' your way~~

Gee, Denise, you're right, tough guy! But if he's willing to be stuck 18 times to get an IV started, why is he so hesitant to get a port? It doesn't have to be done under general anesthesia, if that's his concern. I had a local for mine and don't think I was in the OR for more than 10 minutes. Then I spent about 30 minutes in the recovery room, but that was just waiting for the portable x-ray guy to show up and then to have it read to check on port placement.

Of course Tom may be figuring that his chemo days are coming to a close and he can tough it out a little longer...

Ned

Denise,

Oh these hard-headed men!! :roll: Tony went through veins starting to not cooperate and it wasn't until he had to get a port for the Navelbine that he finally agreed. Then, he wondered why he hadn't done it before because he loved it! Ha! I know the kind of man you are dealing with at your home. :wink: Glad to hear he is hanging tough and, from the sound of it, things are going well. You are both in my thoughts.

Hugs,

Debi

Denise,

Ohhh... I hate needles... YUCK... My first thought before I kept reading was why doesn't he get a port! Dad had one put in right away, and I am glad that he did. He also was a tough guy,but I hated to see him cringe when they couldnt acess the port an had to stick him the "old fashion" way. They also have numbing creams that can be put on the skin in the port area to help lessen the "pain" when accessing the port. (if thats the reason not to get it) Dad also was on continious chemo for 3 years, no breaks.. ( i think the longest he went without was 5 weeks, and that was over xmas/new years holidays)

Good luck to you.

Shelli

Well today the hiccups are gone but the pain has set in. Needless to say "Mr. Tough Guy" has left the building. I rubbed his legs down in BenGay as he requested. Each time he gets the Neulasta the pain gets worse everytime. He wasn't going to take anything for the pain until about now but I convinced him to take some tylenol p.m. about 3 hours ago.

I told him that just because it says p.m. on the bottle does not mean you have to wait until late night to take it. When you're in pain it needs to be controlled before it gets out of hand which he seems to let happen all the time. What am I going to do with that man?

Keep him of course!!!!

Denise

Hi Denise,

Hank has also been having problems with bone pain after Nulasta. The doctor prescribed Percoset after his last treatment, and he had no problems with pain this time. You might want to talk to your Doc about it, that is if Mr Tough Guy will agree to it. :D

All the best,

Gail