My mother is in the hospital

kimblanchard

My mother went into the hospital last night because she was in so much pain. A week ago her CT scan showed no change which we were somewhat happy about since we thought the chemo stopped the progression. But since then the area in her spine which was where most of the tumors were must have grown because her pain became increasingly worse and unmanageable. She was taking 6 30 mg ms-contin and 2 percocets every 4 hrs. which was doing nothing for pain. I can't imagine such progession in just a week.

They will not continue chemo until the pain is under control. She cannot have radiation to her back because of the extensiveness of the area and they cannot put in a pain pumb because she has a colostomy and because of the extent of the disease.

Just as I left the hospital the nurse bumped her morphine drip up to a 20 which will probably knock her out.

Is there anything else that can be done? She wants to fight to live but just cannot tolerate the pain anymore. I don't know what to do.

Kim

Thank you Mo and Christy for your responses. I will ask the Dr. about Zometa. Don't know anything about it. My mother is still hanging in there at the hospital. They are trying to wean her down from the morphine drip to a pill form. The pain is finally under control but she is so doped up she can hardly communicate. The only option now is to switch chem. He will be giving her Gemzar once she is stabilized for a day or so.

I keep praying. I think as long as she has a breath in her body she will fight.

Happy Thanksgiving! I am very thankful that my mother is still alive.

Kim

Dear Kim..

What a sad way to spend this Thanksgiving...worrying and hurting for your mother. But please believe that sometimes one can be so down and apparently out of it, and some drug is administered or some procedure is carried out and BOOM, your mother could be a very different woman in just days.. I hope and pray with all of my heart that this will be the case for your mother, yourself and your loved ones.

God is with you..walking this difficult path hand in hand. Just believe and trust that it is so.

I can sure understand how you feel...My father had a similar problem actually he had it in his spine, L14 and 15 and the pain was beyond believe i could see it on his face and and the doctors did a radiation on that area and conitnued his chemo.....it took well over a week for any pain reduction......now he gets pain there but not as severe as before. and somehow it can be controlled by pain killers (Morphine that is)

Although cancer never gives time for a person but you have to give time for the pain to go away.....and believe me at times we can do nothing but to sit and pray

Thank you all for your replies. It really means so much to me.

Francine- Thank you for your kind words. A Thanksgiving I will not forget. I did have one great thing to be thankful for. I still have my mom.

Don- Yes pain control is first priority-wow it's unbelievable the level of pain a person can experience.

Spellbinder- Sorry your dad experienced such pain. I'm glad he was able to get radiation. My mother can't because of the extent of disease.

Mary- You were the one who mentioned that Strontium 89! I almost forgot about that. I told many people about that. After reading your email I called my sister at the hospital to ask the doctor about that. Thank you!

Today my mother is still stable. She is hanging in there. I am so greatful for her strength. The pain is under control but we are still waiting to get her to a level where she can take pills and come home.

We will all get through this. I am so lucky to have found all of you!

Kim

MaryAnn,

The doctors put two of them on my mom. Most of the pain was gone for about a day until they lowered her morphine. They had to increase again because the pain was coming back. It's such a fine line. I'm hoping they will find the right level so she is comfortable without being too sleepy and unable to function.

Kim