introduction

Kelly71

My parents created a blended family over 33 years ago. Together, they had 6 children and eventually had 14 grandchildren. On December 11, 2007, my father was diagnosed with stage 4, non-small cell lung cancer. Exactly 5 weeks later, on January 15, 2008, he died with my mom and I by his side. Exactly 5 weeks after he died, on February 19, my mother was diagnosed with extensive stage, small cell lung cancer.

My family didn't even have time to properly put my father to rest (a burial-at-sea) or have much time to grieve, when we took another huge blow. This has been incredibly painful.

Our family decided that it was best that my mom not stay alone, down in Florida, so we moved her here by me and a brother, in Minnesota. Incredibly better medical care and near family is what she needs.

I am her primary caregiver. I am married and have 3 children (ages 17, 16 and 8 ) My mom now lives about 5 minutes from me at a senior living community. I love my mom tremendously and I hate what she is going through!

Since moving here, she has been through 3 differant types of Chemo. The first 2 were not showing any improvement...things were only getting worse. This last line of treatment seems to be the one! Her last PET Scan showed major improvement! Tumors are shrinking and losing energy! Finally...some good news. I just hope this continues!

Kelly, moving your mom to be near you and other family was a very good decision. And your mom is to be commended for agreeing to move -- some won't budge, and that makes it even harder on everyone.

It's great that she is now responding to treatment. For everyone's info, could you give us the names of the drugs used so far?

Well, your city is in the news this week. I hope the demonstrations remain under control. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Kelly

Hello and welcome to the "family". I am so very sorry about the loss of your Dad. Please accept my condolences.

So very, very sorry you are, again, dealing with the cancer beast. I am so glad you found this board though as you will find so much support, advice and HOPE here!

It sounds like your Mom is responding well to the latest chemo. That is wonderful news. When you are up to it, if you could take a minute and fill in your profile and give us some more information about what your Mom has been through and is currently having treatment wise, it will enable the members here to offer you much more in the way of information and support. Just click on "profile" at the top of the page and fill in the info.

Please keep us posted on Mom and let us know how we can help you both.

Warmly

Christine

Hi Kelly-

So sorry you find the need to be here but hope you will find this site a great place of support and information.

I am so very sorry to hear that your dad passed and then to have your mom diagnosed must be so hard on you.

Please let us know what chemo she is on now that is helping her so much.

Continue to post here, and ask questions, vent, or just look for support. There is always someone here that can help you.

Hugs - Patti B,.

Hi Kelly

You and you family are certainly going through some difficult times. Welcome to this site. I hope you will receive information here for questions you may have. You will certainly receive lots of support from others who are dealing with this disease as survivor's or caregiver's.

Kelly,

I am so sorry to hear everything that your family has been through. I'm a St. Paulite too, and know the senior living centers around here quite well. I am glad you were able to talk your mother into moving up here (and good thing you didn't do it in the peak of the winter!). Hopefully being with loving family members is helping her - the recent scans certainly indicate that to be true!

Best wishes from your own town,

Amy