Taxotere

Marci

Hi All,

They are changing mom's chemo regimen to Taxotere. Please post any replies on how anyone has done on this and how well tolerated it is or not. They feel Taxotere is the way to go since my mom has never taken anything under this chemo family umbrella of drugs before. Please post any info. on this.

Thanks so much!

Marci

Hi Marci,

My husband's first and second line of chemo was Taxotere and Carboplatin. On his third chemo they did Taxotere, Carboplatin and added Zometa. He will have his fourth chemo next Wed. which will be the same as the third only they will be adding Avistan as well. Thom has done really well with very little side effects. They added emend to his IV for nausea and he had no problems. He had some minor issues with constipation but soon realized that if he started the stool softners on the morning of chemo and continue for about a week it solves that problem. I can't say which chemo caused the constipation or if it was a combination of the treatment but, he has done really well. He did loose his hair and had lost most of his beard, he has since shaved. We will get final scan results next Wed. but do know that the scans look good. :D Good luck-wishing you the best.

Jean

Hi Marci

If you'd like some information quickly from previous posts here on this site, just go to the search button at the top of the page and type in Taxotere. It will give you lots of posts with info about the treatment.

Sorry I cannot offer any first hand advice but hope this helps.

Warmly

Christine

Hi Marci,

I had 3 cycles of Taxatere. The worst side effect I had with the drug is fatigue. I was extremely tired for about 6 days after I received taxotere. I also had really sensitive finger nails. I know some people have lost their finger nails from the drug, I never did.

Overall the drug was pretty tolerable. Just remember to continue to drink lots of fluids.

Good luck,

Wendy

Marci,

In late August I switched from paraplatin/alimta/avastin to taxotere/alimta/avastin.

Since then I have been troubled by shortness of breath and I am now losing my hair.

But overall I have to say I'm doing better. As long as I pace myself I can get out and around much more than before. I've made a couple of trips into the city to see old friends and am travelling to Boston tomorrow.

Hope your mom does well on the taxotere,

Linda

Thanks everyone for the posts. The only thing I think that really troubles my mom is the hair loss part of this drug because thus far with all other treatments she has not had any loss. I am hoping and praying just for thinning and I know that this should not be such a big thing but it is for my mom emotionally. With this disease, we can cover the physical pain with pills etc. but emotionally for your mind I think its torture.

Thanks Again Everyone-

Marci

May I suggest that you take your mom out wig shopping before she has significant hair loss? my mom did this, and it was a comfort to be able to choose when she could go with a wig! When the hair loss got to a point beyond "thinning," she had a "buzz off my remaining hair" party and had her wig all set and ready to go! Humor was of utmost importance to my mom, and keeping things light worked for her.

She loved waking up and having perfect hair (wig) in about 5 seconds! You can't beat that!

I think she hated not having eyebrows the worst.

Fatigue was a problem, too.

Hope your mom does well on this regimen.

~hugs,

Karen

I agree Marci. Losing your hair is emotional torture. It's just such a physical sign that all is not well. It sucks that cancer patients have to go through this as well. At this time last year I was completely bald (I just wore a ball and other caps despite purchasing an expensive wig). My hair tried to fall out on me again lately with gemzar but it is growing and coming in at the same time. And I am sporting a short curly hair do! Way better than being bald and I am extremely thankful for that.

I hope your mom's just thins as well. Get her to "baby" her hair. Wash it with baby shampoo and only every 2nd or 3rd day. Do not use any hairproducts with alcohol in them and do not blow dry. Brush it only as really needed. This should help slow down the thinning. And hopefully it will start growing back before it thins too much.

Take care

Sandra

Thanks everyone- thank you Sandra for the advice on the baby shampoo will encourage her to use that. Good thinking!!! All of you are real angels and if I didn't know any better I would think you all were walking around with wings!!! LOL! Sandra, your hair color on the site reminds me of my mom since mom's is reddish brown. I need to put a picture up of my mom soon.

Marci

Marci,

There's a good wig store in Yorktown -- Tiffany Wigs. Your mom's wig should be covered by insurance so ask her onc for an rx.

My hair has thinned to a very baby-thin covering but so far I haven't had the last of it buzzed off. I know I should but somehow it seems like admitting defeat.

I do wear the wig outside of the house but I don't want to be completely bald when I'm home. We normally travel to my sister's at Christmas and I want to have hair when I get up to pee in the middle of the night. Silly, yes?

One of the other things I got at the wig store is a fringe to wear under hats and scarves. My younger daughter is busily knitting hats for me for Christmas.

BTW, her name slips me at the moment, but the woman who runs the wig store is a cancer survivor, has been through chemo and is very sympathetic. She also seems to have the knack for choosing just the right wig. Mine looks like my normal hair.

Have your mom go, if she's up for it, while she still has most of her hair so the wig will look entirely natural.

Thinking of you both,

Linda