Intro

JRx

Hi,

My wife was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer on the 23rd of January 2009. Seems like just yesterday, yet prior to the 23rd was another life far away. She is 47, a mother of 4 great children, 2 grand children, and my wife for nearly 28 years. As the husband and father I do my best to put on a strong positive front, but here at 3 AM in the morning I am simply frightened. I lover her so very much.

Welcome to our community. Your wife's diagnosis is so recent you two (and the rest of the family) are still in the most devistating stage. That is when you feel you are spinning with the diagnosis and going to many tests and doctors and getting more info that you have problems even hearing what is said, it is so overwhelming.

Your wife is very young, only 47! Can you tell us what they have done for the brain tumor? Many times they treat that quickly. Also what type of lung cancer is it? Non small cell or Small cell? Is there a treatment started for that? A month after my diagnosis I was already several weeks in chemo and radiation, you can read my story with the link below.

Keep us posted.

Donna G

WElcome to the family no one wants top be a part of but is really glad they are HERE!!!! WE are full of compassion and knowledge in a lot of thinhgs here. I am sorry to read of your wifes condition. But I know that very soon if not already there will be a plan in place to deal with it. A treatment plan of course! WHen Chemo and treatment starts You will feel a little better. IT is kind of liek stepping into the ring. Until then Your in the locker room not knowing what is outside the door. Once you step into the ring you can see everything better and understand what is going on. HAng in there its gonna be all right There are lots of wonderful people who have beaten the odds here and the statistics. ANd lots who have helped people beat the CAncer as well.

LCSC deals with a lot of things here. We can help in lots of ways. This site also has an Oncologist Specializing in Lung Cancer on board. He is a wealth og Medical info in addition to the info and support we offer. Many of our meebers are also on his site and here is his link so you can check things out over there as well as here...

cancergrace.org

Things will improve with time and treatment. Right now its ok to be scared but dont feel alone. We are here to help and answer whatever questions you may have for us.

Hi JRx

Sorry you have a reason to be here. I was also 47 when I was diagnosed and I can certainly relate to the shock your family is dealing with. As other's have said, it does get easier once a plan is in place. Then you go from confusion into a fighting mode. This is a great site for support and information. Please keep us updated and post any questions you have. I'm sure some members will have answer's for you. take care.

When my husband was first diagnosed I was on here a lot at 4:00 am. That seemed to be the time when I got up and couldn't go back to sleep. Please tell us more about you and your wife, we're good listeners and we can help you talk this out. I am glad you found us.

Rochelle

Hi JRX-

Welcome to our family altho I am sorry you need to be here.

Please tell us more about you and your wife - what stage is she and has a treatment plan been put in place yet. The others are right - once you begin treatment, somehow you feel better because you know you are actively dealing with it. The beginning is the worse, we have all been there and can sympathize with you.

Keep posting - its OK to come here with any question or just to vent - we are pretty darn good listeners.

Hugs - Patti B.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, if it wasn't for my wife's positive attitude and loving care I don't know if I could have made it. I'm sure there were many times she cried and felt frightened about my cancer when she was alone, but she never let on. I'm not saying that we didn't take it seriously but a positive attutude is just as much a part of the battle against cancer as surgery, chemo/radiation, exercise, diet and prayer. Keep up the good work, and be sure the entire family stays involved with her fight.

Lenny

Hi, JRx, and welcome. Many of us are very familiar with those predawn hours. And more than practically anyone who's been part of your life so far, we truly understand what you and your wife and the rest of your family are going through right now. Please give us as much detail as you can, and we'll help you through this journey that you never expected to take.

From what you write, I gather that your wife has been diagnosed with a lung cancer which has metastasized to the brain (rather than a separate cancer that started in the brain). These "brain mets" are of course an unwelcome complication that need to be dealt with promptly, but radiation oncologists now have some very effective means of treating them. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi there. Of course you are frightened. The early phase of discovering you have this disease and not knowing what can be done is the most scary part of all of this. As others have said, once you know what the plan is, you will start to feel a bit better.

There are many kind supportive knowledgable people on this site who are here for you for whatever you need. Support or information.

Please tell us more about what you know of your wife's diagnosis. That will enable us to be more helpful.

Above all, please know that there is always HOPE. There are many survivors of this disease and many on this site. I hope you post again and let us get to know you better.

Take care

Sandra

JRx - I am so very sorry to hear of your wife's recent diagnosis. It is definitely a frightening time and I am glad you found a place to share your feelings. You will find others who are on the same journey who can share information and a shoulder to lean on. As all the others have said, once a treatment plan is in place, it will give you some direction and hope. As Sandra said - there is always hope - please remember that. Statistics - don't look them up - your wife is not a statistic and they are outdated.

I am sorry you have need to be here, but glad you found us so quickly.

Linda

JRx, I'm coming in a little late today but am happy that so many warm and wonderful people have already responded to your post. I am so sorry you, your wife and family are having to embark on this journey. This truly is a special place though, and if you let them, there are a lot of people who will offer comfort and support through these trying times. It's the perfect place to come to in the wee hours of the morning.

Keep us posted on your wife's progress. I hope she has a treatment plan in place soon. That's when things usually begin to settle down and into the routine of what people call a "new normal." Many positive thoughts being sent your way.

Judy in Key West

JRx -

I am so sorry you had to find us - I hope we can all be a help to you in this very difficult time. I was diagnosed right before turning 48 and had mets to the brain also. Like the others have said - this is a really hard time - while it is all still reeling in your head - but it will get calmer - once you have plans in place and treatment started it will be easier to breathe. And you can always come here for answers to questions or just to vent. I will keep you, your wife and your children in my prayers.

peace, Janet