My cancer has shrunk!

teetlee

Hello everyone,

I know I haven't posted in a very long time. Frankly I haven't had much change in my situation. I've been stable for a long time and I'm so thankful for that. In the meantime, I was dx'd with rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes type 2. One doctor thinks the cancer caused the arthritis and another thinks the chemo did. Either way I've been in terrible pain. I've been taking percocet up to 10 aday,and have been on a morphine patch. Still the pain was active. Today my onc. started me on methadone and percocet. I pray that I will get some relief so that I can enjoy Christmas with my grandaughter in Dallas.

On Dec. 9 I had an abdominal ct done because my liver enzymes were up.The results showed that the mass in my liver was smaller than it had been compared to the previous scan done in Aug. 02.

This scan also allowed my onc. to see the tumor in my lower left lung and measure it. According to the scan in 02, this tumor was 6.7cm. It is now 5.1cm. So there is confirmed shrinkage.

I've been taking Sandostatin since March 03 and this was the first scan I have had. I will be having an octreoscan in Feb and hope to get even more good news. This scan is similar to a pet scan but a substance called octreotide is injected which is drawn to the carcinoid tumors. They will show up as hot spots on the scan.

For anyone who is interested in learning more about carcinoid, there are several good web sites as well as a carcinoid group on yahoo.

Teet

Teet, Merry Christmas. Let us know if and how you find relief from the arthritis. Boy I didn't even think I could blame chemo for that! Thanks for the wonderful news that your tumor is shrinking! Yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Donna G

Teet, great news about the shrinkage and the stable! Also, my mom has suffered from arthritis for forever, and during chemo it was even more excruciating-one thing that I have known about arthritis, in general, is to stay away from citrus fruits-as they exaserbate the condition-not sure exactly why-I can't remember, but just wanted to let you know. If my mom has any advice re: arthritis= I will pass it on to you. Take care, deb