Anorher survivor....

tolafson

Hi. I am Tami. 39 yrs old. Diagnosed with stage IIIA NSCLC in early July. Since then, it's been a whirlwind. A biopy. A mediastonoscopy. A mediport installed. 5.5 weeks of radiation. 2 rounds of chemo (6 days each) and 2 weeks ago, a lobectomy. More chemo to follow soon.

I am EXHAUSTED, absolutely drained. Sore. Tired. Angry. Lonely. And the rest of the time, Optimistic.

I hate that I am bald. I hate that my neck, chest and torso look like something out of a slasher film. I hate that I can't exercise, or even walk around for more than 10 minutes without losing my breathe. I hate the way my friends and family talk to me with pity in their voices.

But I love that I am alive. And I will fight, fight, fight to stay that way. Thank you for this site. I was so happy to read stories from so many survivors. I found very few people in chemo and radiation that had lung cancer, so I was beginning to think that none of them survived. I'm glad to know that is not the case. :wink:

Tami let me be the first to welcome you to this great site but sorry you had to be here. You will find members here very supportive with a great deal of knowledge and experience dealing with this terrible disease. There are plenty of good news stories here and it is great you have that positive attitude.

Welcome, Tami. Yes, some stretches of what you have to go though with treatment are pretty tough. I'm a long distance cyclist used to being able to do whatever I want, but came home from lung surgery unable to put on my own socks for days.

But the fact that you had surgery gives you a better chance than many. So hang in there and keep slogging along. There are plenty here to help you along the way, or just listen to your rants when you feel like ranting.

Sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us. Again, welcome!

Welcome, Tami! You mention exercise, or rather the lack thereof, and that was the most frustrating thing for me in the first days home after my thoracotomy. In fact, exercise was the subject of my first post to this group in September 2006. I dreamed up some leg and arm exercises which I could do lying flat on my back on the floor, and they helped not only my muscles but also my frame of mind. Hope you're feeling better soon! Aloha,

Ned

Hi, Tami, welcome. Where are you in Michigan? You'll find the cold weather to be a special type of torture...

I was diagnosed IIIA over six years ago, and I can tell you it DOES get better. Well, maybe not all of it, but it is tolerable. As for the slasher film body, I've decided that if I need to work as a stripper, I'll bill myself as "Frankie Stein"! If I can ever get my weight down to a "hot bod" level, I'll be sporting a leather halter top and telling everyone the scar is from a knife fight in a biker bar... Don't worry, the hair grows back.

...but that's just the scars on the outside. There is a need for healing of your soul, as well. I carry a big Louisville Slugger and a maglight for the monsters that hang out in the dark corners of my mind. Let me know if you ever need to borrow them.

Take care,

Becky

Bald is beautiful baby!!! Your not alone anymore!!! Bud and others are great inspiration for exercise!!!! Not me so much cause I am always here!!! JKJK Gotta have a sense of humor! No, really though I am always here!!

Welcome to the site !! We can help in lots of ways here. You have the most common and most researched type of Lung cancer that's the good news.

Also let me give you the link to our oncologists site. Dr West spends his free time here helping with our medical questions and thoughts. HE is a Lung cancer oncologist in Seattle Washington and a GREEAT man to know. A lot of our members are also on his site for info so you will not feel like a Noob over there!

http://cancergrace.org/

WE provide the mental and emotional support and Dr West provides the Medical support!!

Hi Tami, Welcome.

Your journey sounds similiar to mine. Chemo's, Radiation , then surgery and more chemo after. You can click below on "My Story" and get more detail.

On December 3 ----I will be celebrating 12 years since that day they said "I am sorry to tell you but you have lung cancer".

I pray your treatment will be this successful! Keep us posted.

Donna G

Welcome Tami. You've already seen what a responsive group we are here. The early treatments are the worst. Not only physically but combined with all the effort required to adjust to the new normal. I'm almost to my second year from dx/treatment of IIIb adenocardinoma and the new normal is feeling a little more normal normal. Of course, I didn't have surgery to deal with but still wasn't able to work out for quite awhile. I am back to doing my Total Gym every other day and occasionally biking or walking. You'll get back to exercising.

Hang in there, as one optimist to another, I'll admit that valuable aspect of my personality slipped more often than I'd like to admit. That's when you come here and your friends tell you it's o.k. Nobody can stay upbeat all the time. Trust me, it will get better as you begin to heal.

Judy in Key West

Hi Tami,

Glad you found us. I know what a relief it was for me to find this site. I had sugery ULL (upper left lobectomy) followed by chemo. You have a great attitude and you will be able to exercise soon. Be gentle with yourself and welcome aboard!

Dana

Hi Tami,

The week after radiation ended, I was in a program at the YMCA "Exercise and Thrive". Gently helped get me moving again, even doing weight training. After the class ended (10 weeks or so) I was feeling much stronger. Not so motivated to keep up the weights, but I swim 4 or 5 days a week, and walk pretty good.

What chemo did you have? I had the cis/gem doublet and only thinned my hair. It's all back, thicker than ever - and that is saying alot.

I hope that you are well and return to strength. You are a young one. And you sound fierce enough for this.

Welcome Tami,

I also was staged 3A. Like you I did not know anymone with lung cancer nor did meet anyone while I was in chemo or radiation who had lung cancer. One thing I can tell you is to be patient with yourself. My surgeon told me that it would take two years to completely heal. I think it takes longer. My surgery was in Junly, 2005. The right side of my chest still feels numb and heavy at times. I guess I have learned to live with it because it does not bother me anymore. The one thing that I have learned NOT to do is to throw my arm over the seat as I back out of a parking space. For some reason that causes spasms on my right side to this day. You learn to adjust. Be kind to yourself and be patient with yourself.

Carol