PostOp Recovery

-Cheryl-

Hello LCS Friends,

It seems as if there has been such sad news on this board lately. I haave read all of your posts and wat you all to know you are all held close to my heart and in my prayers. So many new faces, which also saddens me. This disease just takes and takes. The beast's appetite never wains, as we send in more reinforcements to fight the battle.

AS many of you know, I went back to work fulltime at about 3 1/2 weeks after surgey. No, I am no superhuman "able to leap tall buildings with a bound" Just ran out out of FEML time, and was at risk of losing my job with insurance. It was hard at first, both physically and mentally. I was so tired intially, but slowly my energy has returned. I think now that my iron level is up, I feel better. I am not as short of breath when I walk dailey either. The coughing is all but gone. But when I do cough, it hurts inside my lung. I think I can taste the metal from the multitude of staples used in my surgery. Especially, if I cough up sputum. And sneezing is unbearable!!! Could these staples cause pain in the lung? Has anyone else experienced this? I am also having some pain in my spine, upper-middle back. It could be from my trying to do everything that I use to do and more. I am determined not to wast a minute of life! I have an appt to see my onc on Jan 5th, I will ask for a bone scan since I have never had one. Psychologically, work has been good for me. It takes my mind off of me and my cancer for a while. Being able to help others is empowering, but draining too. I haven't much left to give to people sometimes. My job allows me to see both good and evil, God's beauty and the ugliness of our human condition. It pains me to even discuss it, so I won't. I will do my best to focus on what is good and God's perfect love for us. I wish that I could be so forgiving. Merry Christmas!

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I can relate. Sneezing was the worst, but that only lasted for about 4-5 weeks tops. Now I sneeze and dont even think twice about it.

Don't be too quick to read anything into the back pain.....The pain u feel in your back could very well be due to the surgical position. I had numbness and shooting pains in my R leg for about 4-6 weeks following surgery... A good friend of mine is a physical therapist (PT), she said that the surgical position often times creates problems with back, legs, neck... ect... for quite some time, esp. if you were very active b4 surgery... and then were laid up after the surgery...you might consider consulting with a PT.

I am 10 weeks out now, and I am running/ walking 2 miles a day, and lifting weights (about 50% of normal - until Jan 1- per sugeons orders) just like I did b4......

Cheryl,

I had surgery 3 months before you had yours, and yesterday I sneezed and still experienced a good amount of pain. If you think about how they spread your ribs and maneuvered around inside your chest, I think it's reasonable to feel pain for several months afterward. You also had chemo and radiation before surgery and that takes its toll as well. I don't think you are having a particularly long recovery, based on what you say.

I went back to work really soon after surgery too and I think it was a good thing for me. Normal is what we want after all this, right?

I agree, don't read too much into the pain you're feeling--they also cut a lot of nerves when they perform surgery, I was told that the numbness I have around the incision site and under my arm may be permanent. A small price to pay though, I guess.

Guest Karen C.

Cheryl,

So good to see you here. I think you have a wonderful attitude!

I'm sure everything is fine, but also think the scans are great for peace of mind.

I hope you had a wonderful and blessed Christmas

Karen c.

Cheryl:

I had some back problems following both surgeries. Part of the problem is do to muscle atrophy because of inactivity while we recuperated. Then, as we get better and become more active, we start using muscles that we haven't used, and, of course, there we are wondering if the cancer has spread to the bones. I would ask for a bone scan out of peace of mind.

It's been over 15 months since my last surgery. I still have some residual discomfort, not necessarily pain, in my right upper abdomen. The surgeon told me that is because nerves are cut during surgery. He said I may have that the rest of life, which will be many years. I look at the discomfort as being a reminder of could have been, had they not discovered the cancer when they did. I amy be a Satge IV now, but I am a Stage IV with one hell of a lot of confidence.

Cheryl,

Talk to your doctor about the back pain. Here's to hoping it's just over taxed muscles, or some other completely benign problem. I understand that you had to return to work so soon after surgery, but I know a lot of folks who just couldn't do what you did (myself included)....so I think you deserve a huge "Atta Girl". You may not be "SuperWoman", but I bet you're a first cousin.

With MUCH Admiration,

Cheryl,

You brought back one of my fears: sneezing! Never would I have thought I'd be terrified of a sneeze! The good news is that it doesn't continue for very long.

I can't believe you went back to work so quickly! :shock::shock: I just babied myself for quite awhile. But, we do what we need to do, I guess.

I would get an MRI of the area of your back pain. . . just to make sure nothing else is going on.

JudyB

Hi Cheryl,

I have to admit -- just over the past few weeks I sneezed and realized that I didn't have to CRINGE anymore! Any my surgery was last February!!! Give your body some time to heal!

I do think it is a good idea though to have a bone scan one -- since you have never had one before. My doctors made sure I had a bone scan / Brain MRI and PET scan done just to have a "baseline" to compare all other scans by in the future. And if you are worried AT ALL about the pain in your back (which may very well be do to surgery, as we know, it really does a number on us!) it will at least give you some peace of mind! I had headaches for a few weeks after returning to work after treatment. I INSISITED on a brain MRI, which was clear....and it was determined that the headaches were caused by eyestrain from being back on the computer after all those months off..... :oops: Felt a little silly, but I'd rather feel silly than worry/stress needlessly.

Good luck with the scan, I'll be thinking of you! And make sure you find some time in that busy schedule of yours to RELAX! Perhaps a day at the spa..... :wink:

Cheryl,

so glad to read your post. I have been thinking about you and wondering how returning to work was working out for you.

I to would get a scan on the back pain but I to feel it is caused from the operation. I noticed a lot of patients who had surgery still talk about the pain either in the front or in the back.

Am so happy you are doing well.....