RECOVERY TIME

huggy

Hi my name is Mary, I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago I was told I had stage one lung rt upper lobe cancer, I have to have surgery , I will know when Wh en I meet with surgeon on 8/11/10I am nervous about healing, pain and recovery time after, what to expect,I know everyone heals different, I just want an idea about it all, any advise will help ..Thanx God Bless

Hi Mary

I was diagnosed with stage 1 b and had my upper left lobe removed. I had my surgery on Friday morning, was released from hospital Monday morning, and had a 1 1/2 hour flight home Monday night. On Tuesday morning I dropped into the office to see everyone. I only took painkiller's for a week or so after surgery. I had VAT's surgery and the recovery time is alot quicker than it used to be.

I also had 4 rounds of adjuvant chemo afterwards.

Hi Mary,

I was dxd with lung cancer in Oct 2008,I had 4 cycles of neo adjuvant chemo of cisplatin and vinorolbean,just prior to surgery in January 2009,I have to say I sailed through the chemo,without any side effects such as nausea,or even hair loss,managed to keep all ,yes, including the grey ones,did have a bit of constipation though,slight discomfort with the surgery,but nothing much to complain about. Brave, you may think of me?not at all,when I see a needle approaching me,I want to make for the emergency exit.They removed almost half of my upper right lung,and here I am,more then a year back at work,feeling great,what more can one ask?.God bless,I wish the same for you.

Welcome--I can't help you with any surgery information, but I see you've gotten two reassuring replies already. One other thing to mention. Stage 1 and surgery offers the best chance for cure. While no one is "fortunate" to get lung cancer, you have many more options than those who are diagnosed at later stages. In LC world--we are grateful for every good thing that comes our way!

Susan

Hi Mary,

Welcome. Stage 1 does give you a great chance for a cure. Find put what procedure they intend to use. Recovery from surgery will depend on whether you have a VATS procedure as Bruce did in the previous post or a thoracotomy. The recovery for VATS is much quicker than if you need a thoracotomy. I had the latter in May 07 to remove my right lower lobe. I was stage 1A. I was in the hospital for 6 days and off work for almost 6 or 7 weeks.

Good Luck,

Hi Mary,

Having surgery is you best option. Stage 1 is very curable. I had stage 3a and did not have the VATS surgery, I had the regular surgery. I had my left upper lobe removed at age 43. I was back at work 3 weeks after surgery, against doctor order of course! The first couple of days are hard, but I think you will bounce back fine. It is very frightening going in for the surgery, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I work, exercise and do everything I did before the cancer and lung removal. I actually am more physically fit now then before. Good luck to you, I will pray for your speedy recovery.

Thanx everyone I just came home from surgeons office and found out after my pet scan It is stage 2 ,I scheduled my surgery it will be sept.13,2010 and then chemo ..and from there I go on .I will keep reading and writing here It is great support .I just wish I could see whats ahead of me ..Any ideas??? Thanx and God Bless Mary

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the update. Mine was stage 2 as well. They performed a lobectomy and removed my left upper lobe. The recovery went very well because they put an epidural in my back to eliminate the pain. That along with Vicodin, and I did well. Remember the pain medications will cause constipation, so be sure to get lots of fiber and use a stool softener.

I was in the hospital for two weeks, but only because my drain was cloudy, and they needed that to clear before they would let me go home. Then they mistakenly served me food that was off my diet for the complication, resulting in an extra week in the hospital.

You'll be taking it easy for a while. But you'll be okay. Keep writing, and asking the questions and we'll do our best to help you.

Judy in MI

Hi Mary. I was also stage 2. You'll have to avoid lifting much for 6 weeks after surgery, but other than that, you just have to go by how you feel to decide what you can and can't do. Then, the chemo will knock your energy level back again for a while too, but it's all very doable. Best wishes and keep us updated.