Progression

karenwentzel

Well, I had more scans on Monday and my right bronchus is collapsed again. No sign of tumor around it but there has been slight progression in one spot on liver and one spot on adrenal gland. Today I started my 2nd line chemo regime. I'll have 3 days of infusions every 21 days. Drugs of choice this time are topotecan days 1-3 with the added fun of Taxol on day 3. My oncologist is known for being a really aggressive physician when it comes to treatment. She's not aggressive to me in person. :D

So, the plan for now is keep on working at my job as long as I can with the chemo. I see the pulmonologist next week. Will probably need a bronch to clean out that right bronchus that is damaged from the initial HUGE tumor. After this, I will probably start chest radiation while still on chemo.

Bummer.

Karen

Your subject says it all. The word we all hate to hear. Been there done it more than once and have finally bounced back. That's my hope for you. And in this fight, aggressive is good. Hang in and keep us posted as you feel up to it.

Judy in KW

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about the progression. Glad to head that you have a doctor who is working to stop the progression. Sending positive and healing thoughts your way. Sending prayers upstairs for you too!

Carol

My goodness, I have had a lot happen over the last several weeks. I went in for scans in Sept and was told my potassium was dangerously low! It was 1.9 which can cause deadly heart abnormalities. I was in the hospital for a week. This really took the wind out of my sails. I have since moved from AZ back to my hometown in IN to be with my family. I am living with my parents and daughter. The last chemo didn't work so I am on another regime.

I'll update my signature as soon as I can with my status.

Cancer sucks,

Karen

Karen,

Very sorry to hear of your difficult month - and the move of home. I know that means you have had to leave your job and that is a tough change for you. I hope your parents and daughter are able to bring you relief and good care as the health providers work with you to control this disease. May there be sweetness and laughter in your time with them.

Karen, so sorry for your struggle. After hospitalizations myself in March and April, I know it takes a toll physically and emotionally. I'm back on track now and you will be soon.

Hope the move home gives you comfort as challenging that must have been. Also hoping you find an oncologist who fights the good fight with you there.

Keep us posted.

Judy in KW

Hi Karen,

Good to hear from you. I had Gemzar (Gemcitabine) as part of my original adjuvant chemo. I found that one very easy, when it wasn't combined with cisplatin. On the Gem only days, we'd go for lunch afterwards. Of course, that was a few years ago and my overall status was much better. It can be difficult for some people; mostly I see this in people in don't do well with any chemo. So I expect you'll do fine. Chemo fatigue is my big complaint too - and the chemo blues that come on so strong and unexpectedly! One day, fine, the next, a blubbering mess. "It's the chemo!" But sometimes it is hard to remember that.

Stephanie

Hi Karen,

I have the same story to tell as Stephanie. Gemzar alone caused almost no discomfort, but paired with cisplatin I was a mess. I was on the same protocol as Stephanie, also. By the last treatments, I was exhausted and slept a lot. It took a while to recover from all that, but chemo followed surgery and it was my second surgery in 18 mo.

Hugs and prayers!

Muriel