Another newbie and her story

rockingranny

Newbie Cathy here. Just strolling around trying to get my feet back under me. Had my first colonoscopy 3 years ago at which time they found and removed two benign polyps. Turns out they missed one the first time, thank goodness, because by the time it was caught when I went in for my 3-year re-check, it had turned into cancer. Because of that, I had a pelvic CT scan, an abdomen CT scans and a chest x-ray. Thank goodness for the chest x-ray because they found a 3.3 cm tumor in my upper right lung. A needle biopsy was performed, it was malignant but it was a second primary, NOT metastasized from the colon cancer! Because of having two primaries present, a PET scan was performed and no other surprises were found. I underwent a lobectomy on Sept. 30. Because I am "relatively young" (54), it was recommended - and I chose - to go through 4 rounds of chemo with Cisplatin and Alimta. My first session was Nov. 1. I developed a nasty headache that night and because I have an aneurysm titanium coil from 2000 in my brain, the doctor decided to pull me in for an MRI just to make sure the coil was safe and sound. Thank goodness for my aneurysm history. because the MRI had found a brain tumor, probably metastasize from the lung tumor! The chemo has been put on hold and I am now undergoing 20 rounds of whole-head radiation. The original colo-rectal cancer has yet to be dealt with but the doctors are pretty sure it all came out with the polyp but want to do a surrounding tissue excision at some point in the future. Obviously, that has become a way back-burner issue for now. So there. I've introduced myself.

Wow, as one granny to another, you are the most and least lucky person I know. You're lucky they keep finding these things before they get too advanced but certainly not lucky in having had two primaries by your young age. Sounds like you have a good attitude but if you ever feel overwhelmed and need support this is the place to come.

This is also the place to get info on what others have experienced with various treatments. Everyone is different but there's benefit to numbers and you can often find someone here to whom you can relate. Keep in touch and let us know how things go.

Judy in KW

Welcome Cathy. So Glad you found us. You are really in the thick of things. Not even 2 months since you had your RU lobectomy. Not 2 weeks since you started chemo and now your into brain radiation! Wow. What a busy girl you are.

I had a tumor in my RUL also but had to have chemo and radiation to it before I could have surgery, then more chemo after.

PLEASE keep us posted on how you are doing.

This can be beat. I am also most 14 yrs since diagnosis!

Donna G

Thank you, each of you, for responding to my "introduction". It gives me one of those nice, soothing, comforting feelings knowing you ladies are here. I'm learning a whole new perspective to One Day At A Time. I'm learning 2 good days followed by a maybe-not-so-good day is my new current "normal" and that's okay. I've learned there are a lot of wonderful people in my life who are ready to do whatever I ask of them if I need help or a shoulder to cry on or a hand to hold. I'm learning to listen to every nuance of my body. I will keep coming back here because it feels like a nice, safe, homey place, with good people. Thank you again.

Thank you from my heart, Randy. I had a bad day yesterday, but still better than my last bad day (as in two good days and then one bad). Today has already started out wonderfully and I'm getting small tasks completed that make me feel a sense of accomplishment. I am so happy to feel my strength returning! I cannot believe how much I was crushed 10 days ago but am definitely on the rebound. I really do feel I'll be closer to "normal" than I thought possible by the time I have to start chemo again. And every day I discover another person out there who is willing to connect and share with me and that just makes me feel plain old warm and fuzzy inside. I hope your pain is lessening each day from the loss of your wife and the memories and good feelings have taken over.

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to here,well done you finding this site so quickly,took me over a year,well suppose thats to do with being at the other side of the pond.(Scotland).

I was dxd three years ago,my treatments included 4 cycles of neo adjuvant chemo to shrink the tumour in my upper right lung,which worked allowing me to have a upper right lobectomy in Jan 2009.I had a PET scan soon after my dx,which showed up a hot spot in my bowel,long story cut short,this turned out to be a polyp which my doc was convinced would turn out to be cancerous,following surgery to remove this polyp,my doc arrived to tell me that I was the luckiest guy on the planet,the polyp was the size of a golf ball,tests showed it was not cancerous,further the doc said had this polyp not been discovered and removed,it would have killed me within a year.So it seems my lung cancer has actually saved my life.

I am looking forward to getting to know you,can I recommend the forum Just for fun here,daily chat of a lighter nature and meeting up with lots of new friends.It has kept me sane for the last two years.

Hi Cathy,

Welcome here. From reading your posts, I am amazed by your wonderful attitude. You have a lot going on. And yet, we can only live life one day at a time, right? And if we wake up and get another one, we can be joyful, and face whatever we must face that day. I like that.

I was 52 when I was diagnosed. I'm dealing with the possibility of reocurrence, but like you am taking it one day at a time. Living with cancer can be "normal".

Like Eric, I invite you to check out the "Just for Fun, Off Topics" in which some of write daily jibber jabber just to get to know each other and have some fun.

Judy in MI

• 1 month later...

Haven't been on for a couple of months. I finished my whole-head radiation, had an MRI, the tumor was half its original size so they are going to schedule me for gamma knife radiation :roll: . I had a CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis, and everything checked out clear. I only have one more chemo to go. Plus I still have to have the original colorectal surgery. It seems never-ending. I want my body back. I'm tired of purple spots from being poked and prodded, tired of dry skin, tired of emotional roller-coasters, tired of people seeming to be tired of me and my cancer, tired of losing my muscles, tired of being tired, and really tired of being alone all day. I'm tired of complaining but I have noone else to complain to except you folks so thank you for letting me cry on your shoulders. I know I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but sometimes I just have to cry.

First of all, what you are feeling right now is perfectly normal. It will get better again. The most exciting thing in your post is that you are a candidate for gamma knife. Gamma knife, cyber knife--I don't know the exact difference but I've heard great things about them. I think you are fortunate to be able to have the procedure.

In the meantime, hang in there and hang out here whenever you need us.

Judy in KW

Judy's right - we've all been there. This is one place you can come and complain all you want and no one minds at all. It does sound as though things are going well and it's good that you are a candidate for cyber knife. I know when you're right in the middle of this it doesn't seem like it - but it does get better.

Hang in there, and come back often.

Diane