Inoperable Lung Cancer

Guest Brenda B

Guest Brenda B

Wow what a day :( we just found out that my stepfather has inoperable lung cancer, it has not spread ..

I was prepared for the lung cancer part but not the inoperable part, i feel like he has just been given a death sentence, maybe he has.

:cry:

Dear Brenda,

I'm sorry you have need to visit our board under the circumstances, but wish to extend you a warm welcome. I hope you have the opportunity to read the posts on this board, because I find them a source of hope and information and anticipate that you will find solace and fortitude here, too. There are lots of people at your stepdad's stage of lung cancer who are SURVIVING. I'm praying that some of the many treatments available will help your stepfathers's situation. Don't give up and try to stay positive.

Brenda:

Welcome to the Forum and Lung cancer Survivors for Change. Many of us are lung cancer survivors, as you have already found out. We offer hope. Lung cancer, as has already been said, is survivable. You have also had responses from other caregivers as well. You are not alone. You are amongst friends. Please feel free to visit as often as you wish.

Almost 4 months ago my dad was dx with inoperable lung cancer as well. He is currently okay and in good spirits. Eventhough, things may not seem good, there is always hope. Having hope lifts our mood. If your loved one is okay today, be happy about that.

This website is great. No matter what out backgrounds are we are all in a similar situation. Good luck to you and everyone else!

Did you get a second opinion? When my lung nodule was found, my then current oncologist expressed a deep dismay that I really didn't want to hear. If I wanted dismay, I would have called my mother! :lol:

When I asked my new oncologist about the same nodule, he was very matter of fact, and said "we'll treat it!" It's hard to keep running to doctors, but the right fit is important.

Take slow deep breaths.

Hi Brenda,

There are many different meanings of inoperable. Sometimes when they say inoperable, they mean that even with an operation, the patient will not be cured because there will still be cancer cells lingering in the area. When my mom was diagnosed, she had malignant pleural effusion around her lung, rendering her inoperable. Even if they removed a tumor or whatever, there would still be cancer cells infecting the chest wall. My mom's case is different. Now that her fluid has tested negative for cancer cells, she is able to have a surgery; not to remove a tumor, so to speak. It is to remove this "rind" that formed around her lung, so that it re-expands and they can get it to "stick" to the chest wall, preventing any future fluid buildup.

Another reason some patients are inoperable is because the cancer has spread more than initiallially thought, and they have to do chemo first, to shrink the tumors to operable size. This was the case with my co-worker's mom.

The other case of inoperability is when the tumor or mass is located in a difficult spot.

Hope this helps.

Wow what a day :( we just found out that my stepfather has inoperable lung cancer, it has not spread ..

I was prepared for the lung cancer part but not the inoperable part, i feel like he has just been given a death sentence, maybe he has.

:cry:

My husband heard on Wednesday that he has inoperable lung cancer. I'm trying to be positive and I know there is power in the many prayers being offered on his behalf. Yet at 1:30 a.m. I'm awake and having all kinds of negative thoughts. I want to be strong for him. We visited the oncologist yesterday and he was encouraging at the same time he said chemo is the only therapy because there is a tumor in each lung. My husband is 58 and in otherwise good health which the doctor says is a positive. Friends are more precious than ever at this time, but I need to hear from those who know what I'm feeling. I'm glad I found this site. Night time is the worst time. Thank you.

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to these boards and we are very sorry that your husband has this terrible disease. You came to the right place.... there are many other people here in the same situation... :cry:

When we found out that my Mom had inoperable lung cancer, and an 8cm tumor on her bronchis and air passage that collapsed one of her lungs we feared the worst :shock:

Mom's doctors we so encouraging and positive, and that was a major influence on her attitude.. praise God for them....

They treated her and although it was not easy... and a times there were some scarey moments.... I got through it by sitting here, up all night like yourself... sometimes crying, gaining strength and hope, and information on my computer... :idea:

There are many wonderful people here who are survivors of lung cancer who can tell you that it is not the end of the world.

My Mom was diagnosed on 10/31/02 with inoperable SCLC and a collapsed lung and on Wed Feb/5/03 we found out that she is in remmission. :D That big 8cm tumor is gone... because of chemo and radiation. Learn as much as you can and get ready to fight it!!!!! :twisted:

We will be here for you :wink:

Laurie

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to these boards and we are very sorry that your husband has this terrible disease. You came to the right place.... there are many other people here in the same situation... :cry:

When we found out that my Mom had inoperable lung cancer, and an 8cm tumor on her bronchis and air passage that collapsed one of her lungs we feared the worst :shock:

Mom's doctors we so encouraging and positive, and that was a major influence on her attitude.. praise God for them....

They treated her and although it was not easy... and a times there were some scarey moments.... I got through it by sitting here, up all night like yourself... sometimes crying, gaining strength and hope, and information on my computer... :idea:

There are many wonderful people here who are survivors of lung cancer who can tell you that it is not the end of the world.

My Mom was diagnosed on 10/31/02 with inoperable SCLC and a collapsed lung and on Wed Feb/5/03 we found out that she is in remmission. :D That big 8cm tumor is gone... because of chemo and radiation. Learn as much as you can and get ready to fight it!!!!! :twisted:

We will be here for you :wink:

Laurie

Laurie,

Thank you for your encouraging message. It is what I most needed to hear this morning.

Sandra

Guest budswife

Brenda, sorry of your bad news about your stepfather.. Our family received bad news this week too about my mother-in-law...Small cell lung cancer..Inoperable..Already spread to her bones, adrenal gland, back, etc. The Dr. says maybe 6 months to live. She doesn't want chemo, maybe will consider some radiation?.. She is a retired nurse so she knows a lot about her condition. We don't know what to think, what to do, how to help. Her children all live at least 7-l0 hours away from her. My father-in-law is not in good health either (heart failure)... She is a very independent person, strong willed, and has a mind of her own.

It is very sad...Cancer affects so many folks!! :(

But I am a Christian and I trust God through all this and know that my mother-in-law is ready to meet HIM!

God bless you and your family!