New to forum ...not so new to lung cancer

Normthek

Hi,

Just a quick introduction of a now 64 year old man with stage 4 lung non small cell lung cancer.  I have been arguing with this disease for 4 years now and as I listed the various forms of treatments that I have undergone. 

I won't bore anyone with the details but would be more then happy to answer anyone's questions about any of the treatments that I have had.  There seem to be numerous questions about immunology drugs such as Optivo.  If I can help just shout at me (or a soft whisper would do fine).

Hi,

I am a 66 years old male. diagnosed in Aug. 2016 for lung cancer, underwent in Nov. 2016 a right pneumonectomy operation. it was localize. I was lucky.

I am having short breath and getting tiered quickly, but doctors say that it is normal, and will be improved by time.

It is planed to start at X-Mas time with chemo therapy ( Adjuvant Treatment )- Cisplatin.

I heard that the first time is the most difficult one, while the rest 3 will be OK. Is that true? as I will be travelling between each one. planning to stay for one week after each dose. will that be OK also?

Thank you in advance for any advise on this.

Bet regards,

Faiq Bsharat

Hello Faiq Bsharat.  Glad  you found us.  Also I am  glad you had no evident spread of the Cancer.  You are pretty fresh

from your surgery in November.  It takes time to recover .  I had chemo before and after my cancer.  One of the drugs

was Cisplatin.  If I remember correctly I believe they premedicated me for that drug with an anti nausea medicine and

because of it someone had to drive me to those appointments .  Please keep us posted on how you are doing Do you have family

there with you?  Take care.

Donna G

I was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell lung cancer 1/13/16. I had 10 sessions of radiation for cancer in my hips and 6 sessions of taxol/carbo. The hips are healing and the pain is minimal. CT scan showed the tumor on my lung and the tumor on my sternum had both shrunk. My oncologist was very happy with the progress.

I started Opdivo in June. All scans have showed no new growth and no new cancer. The side effects are minimal. Overall muscle aches at times and some fatigue, but I can live with these effects.

After my last treatment of the platinum base chemo, I developed peripheral neuropathy in my feet and taking gabapentin for the side effects.

Please share your experience with Opdivo.

Fauq,

We share a diagnosis and a right pneumonectomy.  Unfortunately surgical complications precluded me from having adjuvant treatment.  That is likely why I was diagnosed with three tumors in my left lung after finishing a nightmare of surgery.  I had a total of 18 infusions of taxol and carboplatin.  Carboplatin and cisplatin are similar but I've read cisplatin is more difficult to tolerate.  So, to your questions:

The first time is most difficult, the remaining three will be OK.  Maybe, hopefully, but that was not my experience.  During infusion symptoms and side effects for each were exactly the same during my treatment.  In fact, side effects occurred the same number of hours after each infusion (nausea - 12 hours; joint pain - 18 hours and etc).  Each of us is different but I wouldn't plan on the remaining 3 infusions to be easier than the first.

As far as travel goes, my infusions were spaced every three weeks.  Side effects started the day after my infusion and continued for about 3 days.  So if you plan to spend a week without traveling, you should be fine traveling after your week of discomfort.  But, again, everyone is different so be flexible with your travel plans.  In particular, one of the effects of chemotherapy is reducing the red and white blood cells in your body.  This makes you susceptible to colds and flue so during the week after infusion, try and stay away from people to avoid getting sick.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Hi Faik,

I'm new to lung cancer, and since mine is stage 1a, I'm not having any chemo for it. I did have chemo for another cancer. I had half-dose cisplatin at the same time as radiation, tnd then carboplatin and taxol. I think nausea is a problem for a lot of people with any of the platinum drugs and cisplatin is supposed to be the worst. There are good anti-nausea drugs, so be sure you get them. But everybody is different. I haven't heard that the chemo after the first one is easier. I think it's good to have plenty of support at the time of the first one so you can see how your body reacts.  Even though I had nausea and some other side effects, including low white and red blood cells, I drove myself to all my chemo appointments after the first. Luckily, it was in town and only a few miles.  Good luck to you.

Also, Hi to Normthek! and welcome!

Thanks All for your comments and support, and the sharing of your experiences. I am traveling at X-Mas time, and will have my 1st Cisplatin treatment on Dec. 29th.

I will keep you posted on my experience when back on the 10th of Jan 2017.

Merry X-Mass and Happy New Year

Faiq

• 1 month later...

Back from my 2nd chemotherapy and ready to travel next week for the 3rd. My experience with the 2nd was with no much difference to the 1st. the strange fatigue feeling for continuous 3 days was the same. eating appetite is down, as well as the taste and smell. Doctors say its normal and will come back. I hope.

Will keep u posted when back.

Regards,

Faiq

Im just wondering about how long after a lobecromy would chemo start ? I had my surgery on jan 5th and been told I'll be having chemo but havent received my appointment for this yet and getting worried that its not quick enough to get this treatment ....

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Mally,

I was told about a month after my surgery was complete.  I was also told that everyone recovers differently and my surgeon and oncologist would consult before I started post surgical chemotherapy.  Unfortunately, complications precluded me from receiving it.

So, I'd make a call to your oncology provider and  ask about your appointment.

Stay the course.

Tom

Well ive been a month now since surgery and only mild discomfort at times so ill ring them tomorrow...thanks tom

My first chemo is going to be this coming thursday ....im a bit scared about how i will feel and how long before my hair will start falling out

Mally,

I understand you being afraid of chemo.  I was also, but the actual first infusion turned out to be a piece of cake.  The only difficulty was finding a cooperating vein to install an IV.  Given your medical complications, it is best you ask your chemo nurse questions about expected side effects, including hair loss.  My first chemo occurred in combination with radiation and I was told it was a weak dose.  Consequently, I didn't lose any hair and all other side effects were very tolerable.

My second round (about a year after my first) of chemo was full strength.  About a week after my first full strength infusion, my hair started falling out as I combed it.  Both times the drugs Taxol and Carboplatin were administered but this full strength chemo brought on a full complement of side effects.  Most were handled by medication prescribed by my doctor.  You'll likely see your chemo nurse two times.  On your infusion day, he or she will go through a detailed checklist to understand your medical history and determine all medication you are currently taking. The nurse will then give you a detailed briefing of the type of medicine you will receive by infusion.  It may be a good idea to bring someone along for this first session because there is a lot of information provided.  The nurse will also give you written information about all the drugs you are receiving and this will include details about side effects and what to do about them.

During my infusions, I had to report back to the clinic two days after I received my drugs for a blood test.  If my red and white counts were low, I received medication to boost them.  This second visit was a good time to discuss side effects I was experiencing.  On several occasions, my complaint about a new side effect resulted in the nurse consulting with a doctor and I received a prescription for new medication to counter the new problem.  

Your experience may be different because your chemo medication is different than I received.  Moreover, each of us responds differently to medication.  My best source of information about the chemotherapy I was receiving was the chemo nurse.  You may have read this before, but here is a good summary about chemotherapy.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thankyou tom i feel better about my first dose now and tomorrow i see the oncologist and an appointment to hear about my chemo which will start the day after

• 1 month later...

I have a blood test the day before each chemo infusion and if red and white blood cells are too low they said id either be delayed for a treatment or have a lower dose but that hasnt happened yet and ive had 4 doses so far