Hi, this is my first time on a forum

Carol1

My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastatic Lung Cancer with a pleural effusion on July 25th.  The oncologist said he had four to six months without treatment and maybe a year with treatment.  My world fell apart.  I realized I had to pick myself up and give him all the hope and encouragement I could give him. He just had his fourth treatment of chemo and this seems to be the worst for him.  He did really well with the last three with just fatigue.  With the fourth treatment is nauseated from time to time and the fatigue is terrible.  He has been getting three infusions every three weeks. Going forward he will get two infusions every three weeks for the remainder of his life or until his body can’t handle them anymore.  Sometimes I get so scared when I see he isn't having a good day and I think is he starting to go down hill.   Is there anyone on this forum that has had a pleural effusion and that also had a Pleurx catheter inserted.  My husbands was removed because there wasn’t much fluid coming out but he had it for one month and half. There is still fluid in the the Pleurx but not enough to drain.  He was diagnosed with lung cancer in February 2017 and his lower right lobe was removed and staged 1A, which meant he didn’t need treatment. So now a year and a half later he has Stage 4.  I hope everyday when he wakes up that he feels good.  Sometimes he does but it only last for a while. Thanks for taking the time to read my story. 

Hi, Carol, and welcome.  I'm sorry your husband is having such a tough time of it right now.  Has he been tested for genetic markers to see whether he's a candidate for targeted therapy or immunotherapy?  There are also clinical trials for which he might be eligible.  Other members will be along who can provide more helpful information.  I'm one of those who, so far at least, have not needed treatment other than surgery.  Your husband is a reminder that nothing is certain.

Glad you found us--this is a great group for support and information.  

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my post. He  has been tested and he is not a candidate for immunotherapy or proton therapy.  He is on CARBOPLATIN, ALIMTA and KEYTRUDA (just hoping some how someway the Keytruda will help) His cancer is Adenocarcinoma, former smoker.  Right now his quality of life isn’t real good.  We were hoping that the chemo would help and it did at times, but this fourth treatment has been the worst. Seeing the doctor in a couple weeks before next treatment.  He may say lets  hold off and skip a treatment and see if he gets some energy back.  Will have to wait and see.

Sounds like your doing really well. I hope everything remains that way for you, it’s so scary, but yet there are so many options out there today.  Unfortunately my husband doesn’t have those options, so we are hoping the option he does have gives us some hope and more quality time together.  

Have a good Evening!

Keytruda IS an immunotherapy drug.  Several folks here have had great results from it.  

This is such a frustratingly tricky disease.  Every person, and every lung cancer, is different.  Do try to remember to take good care of yourself through all this, too.  I've been the support person/caregiver for a couple of partners with serious medical issues, and it isn't easy!

Hang in there.

With that combination of drugs you are getting first line treatment, Carboplatin is probably the main culprit of the side effects and may not be in there long term plan going forward as the other two drugs step forward to continue the treatment. There is quite few articles on this recent combination of drugs that is where I read the information.

Hi, Carol,

Doctors do their best educated guess, however, they don't really know exactly.  I just read about this lady who was given about the same expectancy.  She got a second opinion at a cancer treatment center in Oklahoma (?), was treated and now she runs 3-4 miles per day 7 years later.  I think I followed the story from a link posted on this site somewhere. 

So nothing is written in stone.  My husband also has LC and going through treatment and he does have bad days but recover in between chemo.  I know it is scary to see him being so weak.  I know...  In addition, you have to be strong when you want to break down and have a good cry probably if you are like me.  But you can do it; you can be the rock for your husband and family.  There are a lot of caring people on this site.  I am finding out in just a few days since I signed up.

Please read some of the survivor stories.  So many "beat the odds." You will be encouraged.  I was.  

For sure, as Faith&Hope says, nothing is written in stone, especially about life expectancy. My father in law was diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma and was "given" 6 months to live. He got into a clinical trial land had good results from treatment. So far, he's lived 20 years!  For lung cancer there are new treatments being approved  all the time and a lot more being approved all the time. So, have hope!

Bridget O 

Thank you for your insight on my story.  Yes going forward my husband will be on ALIMTA and Keytruda as the two maintenance drugs .  Giving him the Keytruda is a long shot, because he doesn’t qualify for an immotherapy drug, but his oncologist wanted to try. So far with all his  scans, everything else looks clear. 

Hi, Carol,

How are you and your husband doing? Please post an update when you can. We are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren

Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hi Lauren, thank you for asking.  Yesterday seemed like a really good day, but today he is so exhausted and has slept most of the day. Usually when it’s time for his treatment, which will be this Tuesday, he seems pretty good. But not this time. It has been three months to the day, yesterday, that he was diagnosed and it definitely has been a roller coaster ride.  I’m not a fan of roller coasters, but i want to stay on this as long as I can, since the end result isn’t good. When he has a bad day, I stay very positive and upbeat for him , but inside I’m scared.  I have read so much regarding his diagnosis and there is allot of positive but there is also parts that I don’t like to read. I feel if I don’t educate myself with this, I won’t know what lies ahead.  My husband is not a healthy person even before this nightmare.  He is a diabetic and has heart disease.  Anyway, thank you for  asking about us, we really appreciate it. 

Carol

Archived