Radiation again?!

Kleo

Hey all...just thought I'd put this question out there in case anyone here had this experience.

Has anyone had radiation treatment to the same tumor... twice?

I thought you could only do one round of radiation treatments on an area, but my radiation doc is talking about doing Stereotactic radiosurgery (?) now for my tumor.   My recent PET shows that the tumor shrunk quite a bit from prior treatments but still shows an SUV of 3.6. 🤨

Kleo

Now the same tumor that is a intresting question.The radiation doc here got all my records from the previous radiation on my neck and he checked them prior to treatment on my chest.

This might help

Questions that must be asked by the radiation oncologist planning the therapy include: "Is the same area of the body being irradiated as was irradiated before?" "How much radiation was given to that site before and how much radiation is needed to kill this second particular cancer?" The physician will want to get records of the previous radiation, and the decision to radiate a second time frequently requires computer simulation (radiation planning).

Bob

Same radiation doc. She knows what I had... she gave it to me!

She also told me if my ribs started hurting again I could call her and she'd zap it to try to ease the pain. That's nice I guess but I think I'd rather wait to see what the biopsy says before just jumping into more radiation. She must work on commission. LOL

Next week...19th. durva day. LOL My onc is outta town this week so it fell to the radiation onc to give me results of the PET and what would possibly be next. 

Kleo-

My mom had an option to have her most recent tumor radiated, which was in the original field of radiation (which she received 1 year prior to her recurrence).  Her tumor is on the back of her trachea.  Her radiologist stated that although it is not ideal to radiate an area twice, it is possible.  However, in my mom's case, there would like be permanent side effects like sore throat, trouble swallowing, etc.  His suggestion was to keep radiation for a second option if immunotherapy did not work because of the side effects and because the tumor came back in a spot that had already been radiated (so radiation and chemo were probably not the best option for treatment, but it was all that was available at the time).  Your case is a bit different since the tumor did not disappear completely.  So, my long answer is yes a spot can be radiated more than once, in certain situations.  My suggestion is to speak with your radiologist to see what/if any chance of increased side effects could occur from radiating the tumor again.

Take Care,

Steff

Kleo,

Conventional Radiation then precision radiation to the same tumor, yes. The reason is the precision radiation can be precisely administered in both area and duration. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Archived