Hair Loss

Guest Sally W

Guest Sally W

My brother's hair started falling out about three weeks ago. This is a sign that the gemcitabene is working isn't it. :? I know this is a silly question but just need someone to confirm this for me....

Also, he has been taking warfarin since December and his blood count goes from 2-5. What does this mean? He was crying yesterday when they tried to get blood from him. Took about 5 hours to get blood and chemo....

He fell asleep in the middle of it, love him.

Trying hard to cope but its tough! Have to remain positive and hope for a miracle. :|

Sally

HI,

I cannot answer your question about the chemo because I have not had any type chemo treatment as yet.I am sure you will get many replys today from those who know.I just wanted to say I am praying for you and your brother.This is the first post I have seen from you and your brother's age just tore my heart apart.I had no idea that this terrible disease hit anyone at that age.God bless you both.I hope that your brother can find some comfort in prayer and meditation.Those two things have helped me tremendously in this battle along with the love and support from this message board and a large,very supportive family.Keep posting please and know that you both are in my thoughts and prayers.TBone

Sally if your brothers INR is bouncing around it may be due to what he is eating. Foods high in Vitamin K affect the INR because Vitamin K is the " antidote for coumadin" it reverses the coumadin affect. As - say one day he eats a big serving of spinach which has lots of vitamin K that neutralizes the coumadin and his INR will be low. If you eat foods with Vitamin K you have to eat the same amount every day so the doctor can balance it with a higher dose of coumadin. Donna G

Hi Sally

Like TBone, this is the first time I have seen one of your posts (I'm pretty new here). I also would like to say how sorry I am that your brother and your family have to go through this. It is horrible to think of someone so young having to battle this disease.

With regard to your question about the chemo, I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that experiencing side effects does not necessarily mean that it is having the desired effect on the cancer cells. I think you will just have to wait and see what the next lot of scans tells you. I am sending loads of positive thoughts to you and your brother, and hope that the treatment is doing its job.

Keep us posted.

Karen

The chemo that kills fast growing cells-such as hair also is what gets the cancer cells. There is no way of knowing whether it is effecting the cancer cells until he has a scan to check on the progress. Maybe your brother would benefit from a port for the chemo. Lots of us have one, mine is under the skin and when I had to get chemo they had a place to put the needle for the chemo. No more IV sticks-searching for a vein. My heart goes out to you and your family. Cindy

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. It sounds like he and I have similar cases. I was diagnosed in April 03 with Adenocarcinoma Stage IIIB/IV with malignant pleural effusion. I have had the fluid drained 3 times (the procedure is horrible) by thorencenthesis and they are trying to talk me into a Denver cathetar(sp). They stick a tube in your side into the pleural area and you drain it at home everyday. It really scares me, in fact I am petrified about it. I should find out tomorrow when I go to see my onc and for my 5th of 6 chemo treatments.

As far as the hair loss, I was first on chemo - Taxol/Carboplatin and lost all my hair. It is a side effect from the chemo, not necessarily a sign that the chemo is working. My tumor did not shrink, but it also did not grow while on chemo.

I am now on Taxotere with ZD-6474 clinical trial and have experienced only partial hair loss of the hair that grew back after the taxol. I don't really care for the look!

Also, I too have problems with getting an IV. One thing that helps is to drink lots of water prior to your appointment. It hydrates the veins. It really helps!

I wish your family the best. Keep us posted with his progress.

Sally,

Your brother might profit from a mediport put in, since even good veins get difficult under chemo. It saves a lot of time and discomfort.

I hope the chemo is working for your brother, and that things start to go more his way.

He's lucky to have sisters who love him so very much.

Know that you are in our prayers....

XOXOX

MaryAnn

So very sorry to hear about your brother Sally. What a shock for you and your family. Please don't give up, there is so much that can be done to fight this disease . We have a couple of young people on this board, perhaps when your brother is feeling calmer he might like to get in touch with them. Prayers and love coming your way,

Paddy