New to the Group

JenG

Good morning. I am new to this group. I was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer last August 2018. Mets to brain, bone and adrenal gland. First line treatment was cisplatin, alimta and keytruda. Started maintenance in January so now on alimta and keytruda with someday every 3 months. Still processing all of this and trying to stay informed and educate myself. I feel great with no symptoms. After treatments I feel tired which leads to emotion, which is the only time I am reminded I have cancer. I remain optimistic however sometimes overwhelmed at how much information there is out there and how to stay on top of all of it. Hoping I can help others stay optimistic while at the same time looking to share experiences and learn from this group. Thanks for listening ♥️

Hi Jen, 

Welcome to our group, where there are a number of fellow Stage IV peeps.  It's great to hear you're doing well on maintenance chemo. One of the women in my support group has been on Alimta/Keytruda for three years now and is doing great.  I was diagnosed in September 2018, I am ALK positive taking a targeted therapy-all is good so far!  I'm really glad you found us! 

Michelle 

Hi Jen! Glad to hear Keytruda & chemo are doing well for you! My mom was on Keytruda + alimta & carbo for 5 months and then just Keytruda for about 7 months for a lung cancer recurrence.  Immunotherapy is doing wonderful things! 

Hi Jenn.  Welcome.  I once took a course in college where the instructor described the required pace as “drinking from a firehose”.  That’s kind of how it feels to me trying to keep up with all info regarding lung cancer.  I use Google Alerts and Google has something called scholar alerts.  I’ve found those and this board to be the most informative.  Be sure to take a break from the information firehose to breath and take in life.  

Thank you Michelle . Looks like we were diagnosed about the same time. So glad to hear you are doing well. I am glad I found all of you. It’s very promising to hear your friend has been doing well after 3 years on the same treatment plan as me. 

I look forward to staying connected with this group and learning as much as I can and to share what I learn.

I have an MRI on the 30th followed by a PET on June 17th. I stay optimistic because I feel good but find it difficult to not think every ache and pain I have isn’t progression. How do you/I get through that!?!? I am sure we all go through this.  

I live in near San Francisco and attend monthly meetings at the Bonnie J. Addario lung cancer foundation and find it so informative...thank goodness for these forums it’s what gets us through this.

I am not sure how to reply to the individual responses. This format is a little different than I am used to. Thank you to Curt and Steff for your reply’s and encouragement.

thank you!!

The Bonnie J Addario living room sessions are great.  I watch them live on YouTube.  Lots of info and hope.   

Hi Jen-

I’m also a big fan of the Living Room!  My peer mentor and I watch the recordings on YouTube. One of these days we’re hoping to attend in person.  

I started a support group here with two of us in February and now the group has grown to seven.  I thought it would be great once our group is well established to have a KC local Living Room. 

As for how to respond in this forum- whatever works.  You can do whatever you’re comfortable with. 

You’ll be in my thoughts as you come up to scan time.  I’ve been loading up on spa appointments while waiting for those results.  

Glad you’re here!

Michelle 

Hi Jen, I am stage IV with mets to brain, diagnosed 4-11-19.  Start my PDL1 immunotherapy on monday, 5-20-2019.  Glad to hear you are feeling great and staying optimistic.    Take care now, Susanna

Thinking of you today Susanna. I found I had very little side effects from the immunotherapy I am on, Keytruda. Which one will you be taking?

Hi Jen:  I had my Keytruda therapy yesterday and so far no side effects?  Thanks for thinking of me.  You take care now.  Susanrae

Archived