New to group

Cari

Not sure if this is how you introduce yourself or not. 

My Dad was diagnosed with NSCLC adenocarcinoma Stage 2B recently. He had his left upper lobe removed and had one lymph node involved so he will be starting his chemo this next month. 

I’m here because I did what I probably shouldn’t have and started looking up survival rates on-line.  I need to hear real people that have been there and real survival stories. I’m scared and not sure what to expect.

Thanks to everyone for allowing me in the group.

Cari

Hi Cari and welcome.  The online statistics are really scary.  Keep in mind that a 5 year survival rate it based on people diagnosed five years ago.  The treatments for lung cancer have improved dramatically since then.  You dads age, overall health and the specific biomarker indicators of his cancer (if you don’t know them he should find out) all play a roll in survival.  Lung cancer is a tough disease but your dad’s was caught early and he was able to have surgery.  Two really good things when it comes to battling lung disease.  There is definitely   hope.  Hang in there.  

Hi Cari,

To echo what others have said, the survival information out there really is not reflective of all of the breakthroughs that have been made in the last five years.  The LUNGevity Foundation website has tons of resources for patients and caregivers.  Here is Lung Cancer 101 that gives information on what to expect after a diagnosis.  Please post as many questions as you would like, everyone is very supportive and here to help.  Thinking of you and your dad.  Please keep us updated on his recovery and treatment.

Cari,

Welcome here. 

I survived many years of treatment mayhem and come February, will have 16 years of life after diagnosis. I've had every kind of treatment imaginable (click on the hyperlink Treatment History here in the footnote of my post). So bottomline summary: if I can live, so can your dad.

There are many reasons online survival statistics don't show the real story.  Most fundamentally, the data set is suspect. Read this for a more complete explanation.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Cari -

So glad you found us. There is so much information on this site and so many wonderful, helpful people. We also have a lot of long term survivors so keep this in mind: there is hope. Now, this is what I tell the newbies: forget the statistics - they are b.s. There are so many factors that the statistics don't include - your dad's overall health, newer treatments, people who dropped out of treatment, etc.

Do you know what your dad's next steps will be? Chemo, radiation, or a combo? I was diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma in 2016 and have had two recurrences. I've been through chemo (twice), radiation, and SBRT. I'm still standing, albeit with a chip on my shoulder about cancer. 😁 

Please ask us anything. We've all walked in your dad's steps or in yours. We're here to help.

8 hours ago, Susan Cornett said:

Hi Cari -

So glad you found us. There is so much information on this site and so many wonderful, helpful people. We also have a lot of long term survivors so keep this in mind: there is hope. Now, this is what I tell the newbies: forget the statistics - they are b.s. There are so many factors that the statistics don't include - your dad's overall health, newer treatments, people who dropped out of treatment, etc.

Do you know what your dad's next steps will be? Chemo, radiation, or a combo? I was diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma in 2016 and have had two recurrences. I've been through chemo (twice), radiation, and SBRT. I'm still standing, albeit with a chip on my shoulder about cancer. 😁 

Please ask us anything. We've all walked in your dad's steps or in yours. We're here to help.

8 hours ago, Susan Cornett said:

Hi Cari -

Susan,

Sorry if I duplicated your posts. I wasn’t sure where to reply and what “quote” means on here.

He will be starting 4 cycles of Navelbine & Cisplatin combination in November after he has fully recovered from his lobectomy.

I’m curious to find out more about this “biomarker” thing. What is it and does it determine something?

Thanks 

Cari

Cari,

Some lung cancers have mutations or biomarkers such as EGFR, KRAS, and others. You can read about them here: types of lung cancer. Your dad's doctor should have requested a detailed analysis of the cancer to see if any of the markers are present. Treatment options vary based on markers. Not everyone has a mutation or a marker, though. I have just plain adenocarcinoma; nothing fancy here.

Archived