Early confusion

Petra

X ray showed lung nodule. Primary care doctor advised CT scan. This was all new and I was upset but the doctor said she had to wrap up visit. I sat in the waiting room awhile gathering myself together. I have no support, socially isolated, financial problems, live alone. I came back to my apartment and climbed into my bed and basically stayed there for 24 hours. I am now more grounded and looking up information online. The most difficult part is going forward on this journey alone. But it is what it is. I realize I need to get organized. I can't get a CT scan unless I make some kind of financial arrangements. I also battle depression. But now the depression has to take a back seat. I feel I need to become organized, efficient, and stoic. Former smoker, over 65...no other major health concerns.

Welcome. Read the posts on this board and hopefully it will give you hope. CT scan a good next move...or maybe a combined CT/PET scan.

If you caught this in the node stage that is great news. Start there. You didnt post a lot of info, but if only a nodule you are likely in a great spot. Take it out, watch it over time and live your life.

Wishing you the best. I'm not well informed on financial issues but would think Medicare covers most of it. Dont focus on that now. Just focus on your health. Catching lung cancer early is super important and you may have done that.

Wishing you the best

Peace

Tom

Petra,

If you are a citizen of the United States, there is an available lung cancer care opportunity that is best in class and free (including travel, meals and lodging)---The National Cancer Institute Intramural Cancer Treatment Center.  Read about it here.

I've met Dr. David S. Schrump, the program director, several times and have spoken and corresponded with him on many occasions.  His program is real and offers no cost state-of-art care to lung cancer patients: everything from diagnostics, to surgery, to radiation, and chemotherapy. 

Jan Pappas is Dr. Schrump's program administrator.  Writer her an email at jan.pappas@nih.gov  Introduce yourself and tell her what you know about your cancer, i.e. you've had an x-ray and your physician advises a CT scan that you can't afford. Include your phone number in your email message.

Keep me appraised of your situation by follow-up post or if you feel more comfortable by a private message (hover the courser over my name and you'll see a menu item for private message) if you want to keep our conversation private.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Petra.  Hearing you have a lung nodule and not knowing what it is is scary.  The process to find out is also slow and frustrating sometimes.   Adding the financial aspect only worsens it.  Know that the majority of lung nodules are NOT cancer.  Hold on to that while you go through this process.  I’m glad you found this board.  It will be a good place to get info, support and to feel less alone.  Hang in there.  

Thanks everyone for your input. I am so glad I found this site. You all are so caring and supportive. I am still in very early confusion state. Still needing attitude adjustment. Thanks, all. 

Peeps!: Thank you for not saying I shouldn't be here since I haven't yet been diagnosed. I feel the need to prepare myself (my age and history gives me some crappy odds) and I was feeling very anxious. I read a lot of posts on here...you are great folk with amazing stories...awesome good cheer...and more compassion then I have felt in a long time. Thank you. I probably won't post much but will just lurk and read. Happy Valentine's day to a bunch of people who really know the meaning of big heart!!! Special thanks and congrats to the blue toed frog....I mean...the blue toed TOM for his leadership, courage, and amazing tale of survival. Congrats to you all for being survivors and veterans and soldiers!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Petra, sorry you have to go through this experience alone. 
My personal advise is to not go online to get information. Especially since you dont know your particular diagnoses yet. 

Getting medical information online can be very scary and overwhelming. Most importantly might not be relevant to your particular diagnoses/situation.   

The best thing you can do now to keep your spirit up is, get organized, find a good doctor, get more information about your nodule, understand your treatment options. 
Once you have a clear plan you will feel more grounded.  

I hope this helps 🙏🏻

Archived