Carbo/Alimta/Keytruda -

Deb W

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate hearing about your experience if you've had this triplet.  I had my fourth (and hopefully final) treatment.  The side effects seem worse this fourth time.  I had the treatment last Tuesday, and then Wednesday and Thursday I seemed fine then  bam....by Friday  and Saturday I could barely get out of bed.  The side effects seem worse this time.  Today, I managed a short walk, but I still didn't feel very stable.  Depending on how the next scan goes, I might be taken off the carbo and kept on the Alimta and Keytruda.   Honestly, I don't think I can take the carbo drug again.  

Sorry to hear you are having severe side effects. My wife was on these, she would have the infusion on Mondays and would feel bad on Thursday and Friday then slowly recover. She had some of the same symptoms. My wife just read your post and thinks it's the Keytruda because the Carbo was removed and she still felt the same, once the Keytruda was removed everything start getting back to normal especially her appetite and taste. My wife started taking Aleve & Claritin ( on the advice of the wellness oncology nurse that works BCBS)  before the days she knew the effects were going to kick in which helped, don't wait until you feel bad to start.

Sorry you had bad side effects with the triplet. The good news is that you had your fourth treatment and hopefully your scans will show good results so you won't get back on it.. I am not an expert but I had my first treatment last week. By the 3rd day after treatment hell broke loose. I went on a violent  cough that won't quit for almost 3 days. I completely lost my appetite and the ability to sleep. This  is the 10th day after treatment and I am happy to report that the cough is manageable and my rib cage does not feel like it come out of a boxing ring..  Now if I can eat and sleep I will be happy  Before I started on this treatment the nurse told me not to expect any bad side effects. Now I wonder where the good ones are😀.

I will be helpful to hear more from other patients who are and were on this regimen.

I wish you the very best.

Hi Deb,

My mother was prescribed a course of six Carbo treatments (at the age of 74).  She made it through five before being hospitalized with a myriad of chemo side effects.  It’s hard stuff to tolerate.  The Alimta is much better tolerated with my LC friends.   Hopefully you’re through the worst of this.  
Michelle

Thanks for sharing your experiences - they mean a lot.  Today is day 7 and I feel so much better.  I guess I thought it would be the same each time.  This time I had the side effects a day earlier and they lasted a day longer than usual.  I was really getting worried and e-mailed my oncologist.  I thought he increased the dose---it was really that bad.  He said it was due to being anemic now and the carbo.  His plan is to take Carbo away next time (2 weeks away already), reduce the Alimta dose and keep the Keytruda....that is of course if there are no new nodules (fingers crossed).  Thanks so much for your support.

Deb

2 hours ago, Deb W said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences - they mean a lot.  Today is day 7 and I feel so much better.  I guess I thought it would be the same each time.  This time I had the side effects a day earlier and they lasted a day longer than usual.  I was really getting worried and e-mailed my oncologist.  I thought he increased the dose---it was really that bad.  He said it was due to being anemic now and the carbo.  His plan is to take Carbo away next time (2 weeks away already), reduce the Alimta dose and keep the Keytruda....that is of course if there are no new nodules (fingers crossed).  Thanks so much for your support.

Deb

Glad you're doing better.

Deb,

So glad to hear that you are feeling better after that rough treatment.  Not having had chemo I can only imagine how difficult it must be as I saw my Mom go through chemo and radiation.  It was tough, but the good news is you're feeling better and my hope is that continues for you.  Also, the reduction in meds should help you feel better.  Stay strong Deb...everybody is pulling for you.

Lou

Archived