Oxygen???

JerseyRose

Last week, my new Pulmonologist sent me home with Oximeter to wear overnight to record my oxygen level while I slept. Today I had to bring it back and do a 6 minute walk around the office with the Oximeter on again. When I was done, the nurse told me I was eligible for oxygen because my readings were 92 walking and went down a few times to 89 during the sleep test. I told this nurse that I felt fine and only become short of breath when I over exert myself and I left it at that. Just as soon as I got home, I got a call from a woman telling me she was from a company that would be delivering oxygen to my home  She asked me a few questions about my insurance, address etc and when I inquired about the cost she said someone would be calling me back with that information . I never saw the doctor today and no one in the office explained anything to me about when and how to use the oxygen machine ( that I didn’t know I was getting). I found this really odd because I didn’t see any reason why I needed oxygen therapy in the first place. I guess I’ll have to call the doctors office tomorrow to find out what is going on because I sure wasn’t expecting any of this today. 

Hi Rose, 

That's really frustrating!   I guess the question I would ask is if there is a respiratory therapist that will be coming out to show you how it works.  I have a vague recollection when I was hospitalized of meeting with the Respiratory Therapy Team for an O2 Eval.  They seemed to know more about how that worked than the docs.   Definitely keep pushing, The name of this game is patience, persistence, and perseverance.  When that doesn't work, get pushy because the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

Michelle 

Hi JerseyRose

A couple of times when my wife was in the hospital for pneumonia and other for low Na, the hospitalist prescribed oxygen at home. The first time it happened we weren't told that in the hospital but it was in the discharge papers. We found out about it when we got a call from the folks delivering it. Since my wife was meeting her oncs nurse practitioner the following day we put the oxygen on hold. Her oncologist said not to go on oxygen unless she was having severe issues, which she was not. He wanted her to do more strenuous activities to get her lungs performing better.  It worked and probably is the difference between a "1 time doctor" and someone that has been seeing you often. The second time, we just declined but informed the onc and he said the same thing.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't follow a recommendation but me and my wife have learned through hard experience this year with her cancer not to just do what your told. 2nd opinions are now second nature to us. My wifes onc has not been great about 2nd opinions but he has gotten over it and we are still with him.

Steve

I called the company that was going to deliver the oxygen equipment today to find out what my doctor ordered. The woman who answered the phone  said he just wanted me to use the oxygen when I sleep. I also asked her how much the oxygen rental equipment would cost, after Medicare Part B paid 80%, and she quoted me a price of around $100 a month. I’ve got a lot of other medical bills coming up this month and can’t afford this additional expense right now, so I told the representative to cancel the order. Then I called my doctor’s office and gave his nurse this information. If the doctor feels I absolutely need this oxygen equipment, I’m sure he will get in touch with me to let me know that.

Archived