Dad now in hospital

berisa

(sorry, please note that this message repeats in GENERAL under subject "update on dad")

I can say, my dad's cancer is as tough as himself.

Today the doctor told us that the brain tumor relapses (not sure is the same original location or the nearby location) and half of his brain is swelling that now they give him the maximum dosage of steriod. Most likely tomorrow the neurosurgeon will come to see my dad. I am just wondering how can the cancer relapses in such a fast pace. My dad just finished the craniotomy on 1/9 and from the later PET scan shown the craniotomy is successful and my dad recovers very well.

I know normally, WBR is followed by craniotomy but since my dad had PCI previously that WBR is not an pro-surgery treatment for him and what oncologist could do is keeping an eye on his brain. I guess no one believes it relapses in just 1 month.

The size of the brain tumor is almost the same as last time. The location is not sure same as last time bcoz the oncologist didn't tell clearly.

I just want to know, did someone have the same experience with my dad that recurrence after craniotomy? Or did anyone hear about that? Is it common for people who do several craniotomies? What is the best treatment to treat the recurrence? Craniotomy again or Gamma Knife? Radiotherapy or Chemo?

Actually, I know Gamma knife is kind of Radiosurgery. But one oncologist told us (2 months ago) that since my dad still had the brain mets after PCI done, that means my dad's tumor is resistant to radiation. Is that true? Then in this sense, will Gamma knife work on my dad?

My dad doesn't feel really unhappy and me too. We just blame why this happen on him. My dad accepts this truth and told us prepare his gone within few months. He seems to accept this is his fate.

One good thing is, my dad's original lung tumor is stable. The size is the same. I just think, my dad didn't even start the 2nd line chemo and his lung is stable, then if the brain tumor didn't relapse, it will be good.

I dont' know what to do now and next. It seems that I can do nothing to help him. I have no idea at this moment and I think we are losing.

It is really unfair....my dad is so young and he is too lovely and he always do everything only for the family, he has no close friends...everyday after work, he came home and for around 10years, he prepared the dinner every night and every weekend he did all the housework. He is a kind man, a lovely man, a generous man, a father and husband who never think of himself first and who always put us as his first priority. He never has a chance to enjoy life. Everytime when I think about his kindness, I cry.

Berisa,

I have no knowledge to help you on the medical side of things, I'm sorry. I just wanted to say that it's so clear that you have a very strong love for your father and are doing everything you possibly can for him. It sounds like he has a wonderful attitude and that you as a family are very strong and respectful of one another and very caring. I hope your father feels better and that the doctors can do something wonderful for him. I will say a special prayer for him tonight.

BeckyCW

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. He seems like he has devoted his life to you and your family. Now he is reaping the benefits of that...having a truly wonderful daughter who loves him beyond words. You are his greatest success...a kind, and caring devoted daughter.We all hope our children turn out to be as compassionate as you. We are all keeping you both in our prayers.

Soccermom

Berisa,

I feel your pain and wish I were there to help you through this bad time.

None of us knows our fate in life. We can only go day by day and take that day to the fullest. I am sure from your writings that your father has and still does live life to the fullest in his own fashion. He has two lovely daughters and a wonderful wife to help him now at his time of need. Give him lots of love each day, help your mom to for I know her pain only to well.

Don't give up on hope yet. Tomorrow it could all change around. Cancer can and does turn on a dime, - - sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. Lets all pray for the good now.

I ache for you. I read in one of the posts that YOU are one of your dad's best successes. I agree. He is so lucky to have you as a daughter. So many who have gone thru this disease go thru it alone. He is blessed. As you are to be his daughter. Good luck with the next Dr visit.

Love Cindy