Surgery on Monday

Karen W

My 3rd Cat scan show growth of my lung nodule that we have been watching for 9 months.  Pulmonologist sent me for consult to Thoracic Oncology Surgeon.  He sent me for a PET scan which showed uptake in this lesion.  I am having VATS surgery on Monday where he is going to do a wedge resection which will go to Pathology for a preliminary result, if malignant, he will remove my RUL.  He seems pretty sure that this is a low grade, Stage I adenocarcinoma.  Needless-to-say, I am terrified.  I will send an update after surgery.

Thank you!

Karen,

We understand terrified. Your description of the process involved gives me comfort that your doctors have your situation well in hand.

Here are some tips and tricks on surgery courtesy of of LouT who had the same type of procedure you are to receive. You can use the weekend to audition a wedge sleeping pillow. I strongly suggest you get one before surgery. These are generally available at most mattress stores. 

Stay the course.

Tom

Kren: Good luck with surgery and like Tom said you appear to be in good hands. I bought my wedge sleeping pillow at Amazon in case you can't go to a mattress store.

Karen,

We have all experienced the worry and anxiety you are going through.  I underwent the same procedure you are speaking about (wedge, test, lobectomy if needed) and they removed my lower right lobe.  The surgery was easier than I expected and my only serious discomfort is when I didn't follow doctor's orders.  I've captured some Tips for going through the surgery and they can be found here.  I hope they are helpful to you and please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the forum.  There is a lot of experience with our group and we can provide great insight.  I look forward to hearing more from you.  

In closing, for now please try to stay positive, enjoy each day, do things that make you smile;  your body and mind will thank you for it and you'll be better prepared to go through the surgery.  You can do this.

Lou

I want to thank everyone for their kind words of support and information. LouT's tips for surgery were very helpful.  I do believe I am in good hands.  My surgeon is a Hopkin's trained surgeon and has done a fellowship for thoracic oncology at Sloan Kettering.  I am feeling more hopeful and calm today.

Karen

I understand the worry.  I had the same surgery and my upper left lobe was removed and a wedge resection in a suspicious area.  The only complication I had was an air leak, which was resolved.   The surgery went well and so did the recovery.  Sounds like you have a very skilled surgeon.  Try to enjoy the weekend.  Will be thinking of you🙏

Deb

I'm so glad you are feeling more hopeful and calm today.  Everyone has given great tips and advice.  Thinking of you and please keep us updated after surgery on how you are feeling.  We are here for you all weekend if you need us!

Karen,

My thoughts are with you; I'm sure all will go well. There are so many posters on here that have gone through similar surgeries with excellent results and little to no issues! I, too, am looking at VATS surgery at Sloan scheduled for the 13th. Needle biopsy verified adenocarcinoma. Hopefully I will "pass" my PFT and nuclear medicine scan (to evaluate blood functions w/in the lung?) on Monday and I can have the surgery as scheduled and not have it hanging over my head!

Meanwhile, practice your deep breathing tonight and tomorrow, both to strengthen your lungs and to calm yourself! You've got this!!

Archived