Reducing dosage of Tagrisso to 40 mg

MotorRose

I have been taking 80 mg  Tagrisso now for about 6weeks for egfr mutation stage 4 lung cancer. The tumor has shrunk to more than half it’s size but everyday I deal with side effects such as stomach upset, heartburn, occasional diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, acne, weight loss( I’m only 93 pounds now).  I was hoping reducing the dosage from 80 to 40 mg might help alleviate these side effects but still be effective in curbing the cancer. Does anyone have experience or information about this? Thanks  

MotorRose,

I do not have experience with chemo therapy, but I did want to congratulate you on the great progress in shrinking the tumor significantly.  That is a good sign for sure.  I'm sure you'll be hearing more from others with similar experience.

Lou

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 9:12 PM, Rower Michelle said:

Hi Susan,

Just want to say hello and welcome you to the group.  Let us know how we can support you!

Michelle

Michelle, Thank-you so much!  My cancer journey has been very lonely, so I am glad to finally find others to connect with for support.

Blessings to everyone!  

Susan

@MotorRose, some oncologists will reduce the dosage, or stop for a short time and then restart. For some reason, the short "vacation" helps, with no progression.

You may want to join the Facebook group "Tagrisso (osimertinib) Patients and Caregivers Group", where there has been a lot of discussion on this very topic. I luckily don't have side effects. Good luck. 

You might feel better after a while. I have been on Tagrisso since June 2019 and the side effects sort of come and go. I did not experience weight loss. Try some Imodium before you eat. Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

My mom has been on tagrisso and experienced a lot of the side effects. Severe acne etc. Immodium for that helps her keep her stomach upset at bay though she still has persistently recurring bouts of diarrhea. She's had ibs for a long time so maybe she's learned to manage these kinds of symptoms to some degree though she says it's not easy and she even has accidents because it gets pretty bad. She also refuses to take the medication as prescribed lol she's somehow afraid she'll get backed up instead and she's more fearful of that. Do you think you might be able to try protein shakes? Is that a potential option to help with weight losd. I know some people take an aggressive approach to keeping the weight on during treatment. She takes doxycycline on and off and doesn't have any more problems with the severe acne her hands and fingers are tender though and delicate at the tips like paper. She has lost a tiny bit of weight but not extreme. Too much for my liking, but not extreme. I'm not sure of the answer to the question about reduced dosage I'm sorry. I hope your feeling a bit better this month and would love an update on how the transition to a lower dosage went.

Archived