Dads Small cell diagnosis

Jessica G

Hi

I wrote in a forum a few weeks ago about my dads possible lung cancer diagnosis. About 6 weeks ago he went to his doctor for a regular check up and they found a nodule. He finally received his results from the biopsy today and it is small cell lung cancer. His PETSCAN indicates it has not spread. However, now they are saying they need a brain MRI to make sure it hasn’t spread before possibly surgery. I really need to get off the internet because it is all bad news in regards to small cell cancer. I just need support

Jessica,

Do indeed stay away from "Doctor Google" in the net. While small cell lung cancer (SCLC) is a challenge, if your dad's brain MRI shows no metastatic involvement, then your dad will be limited staged. If so, all these treatment modes including surgery (the most effective method) and precision radiation as a surgical alternative. Moreover, treatments combining immunotherapy drugs with conventional chemotherapy are starting to move the success needle in SCLC.

So let's hope for a clean MRI and an effective treatment of a limited stage presentation.

Stay the course.

Tom

Jessica 

A 6 week span between biopsy and results is almost criminal.  Why so long?  Advocate for your dad. Time is of the essence with lung cancer, especially small cell.

Wishing your dad the best

Peace

Tom

Hi Jessica,

Small cell indeed is challenging. But as Tom posted there are a bunch of treatments, some of them new. Hang in there with your dad and keep up hope.

Bridget O

5 hours ago, TJM said:

Jessica 

A 6 week span between biopsy and results is almost criminal.  Why so long?  Advocate for your dad. Time is of the essence with lung cancer, especially small cell.

Peace

Tom

Tom: I don't blame you for not being happy with how long it takes. When I asked that question I was told that there is a cultivation (culture) process that takes time.

9 hours ago, TJM said:

Jessica 

Peace

Tom

I’m not always very good with math lol it was approx 4 weeks since he had a catscan , PETSCAN and his results which was yesterday. Now he is having a brain MRI to Assure it has not spread 

Jessica, sorry to hear of your father's diagnosis.  I too hope they will get him on a treatment plan very soon.  It is unlikely that if his cancer is in the limited stage (only in the lung) his brain MRI will show any cancer there.  May I ask how old is your Dad?  If he is a candidate for surgery, that will provide the best hope!!  Please let us know how it goes.

If no surgery, then as Tom previously posted his treatment plan if limited stage will be chemo and concurrent radiation.  The chemo is usually etoposide and carboplatin.  You need to also ask about immunotherapy.  You can read my signature below as I will fudge up the spelling of that med. It's possible he could receive this either during the chemo treatment, or after how ever many cycles they are going to go with at first.  Your Dad will feel better after getting these treatments, and although this type can be very very aggressive, in keeping in good health, NO smoking, the cancer can become dormant for a time before progressing.  The longer the better.  If six months or longer, the 1st line of treatment regiment can be given again.  As they work the best.  There are other chemo drugs, however, I do not believe they are very reliable and rarely do they increase survival for very long.  Stability is the name of the game with this type, so sending my very best to you and your Dad.

3 hours ago, D iane said:

If six months or longer, the 1st line of treatment regiment can be given again.  As they work the best.  

Hi 😧 Do you or anybody else know if this is true for lung cancer in general? Thank you.

4 hours ago, GaryG said:

Hi 😧 Do you or anybody else know if this is true for lung cancer in general? Thank you.

From my research it applies to all lung cancers but you really need to confirm that.

Best of luck

Peace

Tom

• 1 month later...

Hi Jessica: Good luck to you and your Dad. You are both in my thoughts and  prayers.  Please make sure to post when the operation is done.

Archived