Share Your Biomarker Testing Experience

LUNGevityKristin

LUNGevity is seeking to speak to a patient who has had difficulty obtaining access to comprehensive biomarker testing for their non-small cell lung cancer diagnosis. For example, would your insurance not cover it? Did your doctor not want to offer it? We would like to learn more about your experience as part of our advocacy work on increasing access to biomarker testing. There may be opportunities to share your experience with others and for possible awareness opportunities.

Thank you!

That's actually the reason I changed oncologists. My original oncologist (new to me because my previous oncologist moved to Minnesota) didn't see any point in having comprehensive testing done--he tested only for those mutations he felt were most likely to be actionable. When I consulted my present oncologist (at a different hospital/cancer center) he felt it was definitely worth doing, and my insurance paid with no problems. It didn't turn up any new mutations, but at least we looked.

Biomarker testing was automatically arranged by my pulmonologist after my bronchoscopy. I didn't even know about it at the time, all I was thinking about were the biopsy results. I assume Medicare paid for it, because I've never paid separately. 

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not positive my insurance DID pay. Apparently Penn Medicine had an agreement with the testing company that even if my insurance didn't pay, they would cover it. I'm not sure how all of that shook out in the end. All I know is nobody ever demanded payment from me, so somebody else paid for it.

OK, I just checked. Evidently the molecular testing of the tumor/nodes was done in-house at Penn. What I was thinking of--the testing that there was an agreement about--was the liquid biopsy, done by Guardant. I'm still not sure who ultimately paid for that. But apparently my insurance paid for the additional testing at Penn.

My oncologist would not do the test unless a recurrence developed. Due to a poorly read CT scan we thought it had come back late last year so he ordered the test. It appears to be a full test.

His reasoning was it cost XX$ and he had only found actionable mutations a handful of times.

No insurance issues when he approved. Hope that helps a bit

Peace

Tom

Archived