Mom 86 diagonosed water on the lungs 4 days ago they are doing Thoracintesis on monday 4/19/21

gisella7

Hi All:     My mom is scheduled on monday for the procedure.    I'm worried that they have her staying  home waiting for the procedure too long a period of time?

Is this standard?     They are having her stay off her eliiquis blood thinner meds for three days.         She is  not too uncomfortable at home but unable to talk much  due to  shortness of breat when talking.      She says there is no pain unless she does something like bending.  .     She sleeps okay at night.      any input or advice or similiar experiences ?   i am highly appreciative to hear from anyone right now ,  I'm so worried for her!

Hi, Gisella,

Is your mom being treated for lung cancer (or has she been diagnosed with lung cancer)? Is she being treated by an oncologist or a pulmonologist? How was the edema diagnosed?

Her doctor--whoever diagnosed her and ordered the treatment--should explain what kind of symptoms would warrant an emergency trip to the hospital. 

Hi  Lexie:

I dont know if she was officially diagnosed with lung cancer.  She wont/refuses to  tell me. She also told me she doesn't believe at her  age its feasible to do cancer treatments.   But she does say that they found some nodules on her lung and she is to get cat scans every 6 months for evaluation to see   if they get bigger.   The last one showed no enlargement.   she  had a recent  scan 10 days ago and when she went for the report/results  in the  doctors office on  4/15/21   all he  could tell  her was she had water on her lungs and needed to do the procedure. He didnt even go over the catscan results.   They made her an  appt for the Thoracentesis   for monday and she had seen him on a thursday.            Her regular practitioner had listened also to her lungs that same  week and said she was fine.     I just hope that delaying the procedure for three days to get her off the blood thinners wont be more damaging.    They probably needed time to set things up?   Shes in another state and I try to make the calls short with her so she dont talk too much.  My brother who lives near  will take her on Monday.   I guess I am in a hurry to have her feel more comfortable with her breathing and do it sooner.   Just one more day to go. !!!!!     Thanks so much for responding    

Dang. That has to be tough. How old is your mother? Does she have other health issues? You might suggest to your brother that he buy her a ox/pulsemeter. Would give her something to check while she waits. Anything in the low 90's she should call a nurse. Below 90 head to the ER.

Moms are soooo tough. As in tough gals... and tough to be separated from when they aren't well.

Keep us posted. There are so many other questions......

Peace

Tom

Well, it sounds like she's feeling reasonably comfortable at the moment, which is a good thing. And considering the fact that she was in the doctor's office, it's hard to imagine they would not have admitted her to the hospital if it were too urgent to wait the three days. Uncontrolled bleeding can be dangerous, too, so it makes sense to get her off the blood thinners first. 

Apart from getting her through this procedure, it's tough to do much if she doesn't want to share the information. Is she willing to let your brother talk with the doctor? If she's mentally competent nobody can force her to get treatment she doesn't want. The most important thing in that situation is to encourage her to at least let you guys help her feel comfortable.

Good luck--hope her procedure tomorrow goes well and gives her some relief.

Gisella,

Unfortunately, water on the lungs or a pulmonary edema is an all too common symptom associated with lung cancer. The edema takes place between the exterior tissue of the lung and the inside tissue of the chest wall (called the pleura space) and results from the body's response to irritation--to secrete fluid. The same reaction occurs when blisters form on your hand from pulling on rope.

Discomfort relief when the fluid is drained is immediate and the draining procedure is relatively pain free. The removed fluid will be tested for signs of cancer. Halting blood thinners is common prior to surgery or surgery-like procedures.

If the fluid comes back after draining, and if often does, doctors can implant a drain that keeps a fluid sac from forming on the lung. This solution is often used when someone receives two or more thoracentesis.  

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks everyone!!! 

So glad I joined this website  today.  There is so much great information and resources.      I am so grateful  for   the amazing  help and  excellent  advice given.  You guys are the Best!

Mom is 86 yrs old and is going blind.   She also has  diabetes but she takes some natural products for that. (its controlled)  .   She has high blood pressure and takes meds for that.(its under control)

she has declining kidneys  her GFR is 23.   That's worrisome.      But  they haven't advised anything for that yet.    i don't think she has congestive heart   but she does have arrhythmia        I'm trying to work out a diet plan she can follow to reduce sodium.  .i watch a lot of those youtube videos that teach you how to get your good filter rate higher through  diet.      I've asked her to come live with us a million times but she says she  loves her independence..      Thanks Again.   I'll post how it goes tomorrow!   Ciao

Welcome Gisella. you've gotten  good info and advice from other members. I'm sorry to hear about your mom's problems and sorry that you're having to deal with this at a distance. I know first hand how hard it can be to deal  at a distance iwith a mom who has serious medical issues. Hang in there. All my best to bot of you.

Bridget O

Archived