I'm new

CricketR

I just found out Tuesday that I have lung cancer. I had a biopsy the week before. On June 1, I have pet scan, and see oncologist.  They found the cancer because my primary care doctor wanted to check my lungs. Have a 2cm spot sent to Dr. and he gave me 3 options. 1) watch it see watch it, see what it does 2)pet scan 3 biopsy. I chose biopsy. He said I would need surgeon to. I don't know questions to ask. My life is kind of a mess right now. We adopted our granddaughter who is 11 and has to have surgery at shrines hospital may 25, appointment 26 the we go home 8 hour trip. Not enough the dog tore acl and has surgery June3.  Thank for listening, it just helps to write this.

CricketR

Hi, Cricket, and welcome! Well, for a 2 cm nodule, I would THINK (unless they found cancerous lymph nodes during biopsy or during a PET scan, that you would be a candidate for surgery. Did anyone talk to you about surgery? These days, VATS surgery to remove a lobe (lobectomy is usually the standard treatment for removing lung cancer surgically) is really a very simple procedure from the patient's point of view. Three tiny  incisions in your side and back, and that's it. Usually 2-3 days in the hospital. I was out to dinner and a concert with friends a week after getting out of the hospital. 

What exact type of lung cancer did the biopsy show? There are several different types of non-small call lung cancer--adenocarcinoma, squamous cell, plus large cell and a few rarer types. You will want to be sure they send your tissue out for molecular testing. Even if you don't need any further treatment right now other than surgery, lung cancer does have a nasty habit of coming back. If the testing shows you have specific mutations, you might be eligible for targeted therapy (a pill) instead of chemo.

Sorry to hear the kiddo and doggie have medical issues to deal with right now, but chances are any treatment for you will be a few weeks off. 

Glad you found us--this is a great place for information and support.

Thank you solo much! I don't even know what kind of cancer.  Pulmonary Dr didn't say. I really only know came back cancer. Maybe I need new pulmonary Dr.  I think that I need to do more research on Dr.  We live in small town 60 miles from town of about100,000 people. They do have 2 cancer centers. Will check them out. 

I think it's definitely worth being treated at one of the cancer centers--particularly if it's a NIC Comprehensive Cancer Center. Most of those are affiliated with universities, do research, and are familiar with the latest cancer treatments. Sixty miles isn't all that far. 

I'd suggest asking for copies of your scans (they can put them on a CD for you), the scan reports, and your biopsy report and get a consult with a doc from one of the cancer centers. I'd keep the appointment for the PET CT--you don't want to postpone that too far and you'll want to have that done no matter where you're treated.

My own treatment has bounced between two different healthcare systems. My local hospital has a cancer center affiliated with MD Anderson. I had my lobectomy and post-surgery scans there. When the cancer returned in my other lung, three years later, I was treated with chemo by an oncologist at U. Penn., which is a highly rated Comprehensive Cancer Center. After an initially good response, the cancer started to progress so I'm now being treated in a clinical trial back at the cancer center where I started (which is where this particular trial is located). I've found it quite easy to have records sent over (or to carry them, myself) from one place to another, depending on who I need to see.

Cricket,

Sorry you need to be here, but glad that you found us.  First thing to do is to take a deep breath and try to relax.  We all feel the same shock and fear when we first hear our diagnosis, but today's treatments are just so much better than they've ever been that NED (No Evidence of Disease) and longer life is more common than it ever was.

You may want to start by looking at something written by one of our senior members, who is also a 17-year survivor of Stage 3 lung cancer.  It's called, "10 Steps To Surviving Lung Cancer: From a Survivor" and you can find it here.  In the meantime, you may want to keep a pad where you can list questions and make sure you have someone at the appointments with you (if possible in your vicinity).  Oftentimes they can remember questions that our emotional state manages to forget and they'll prove to be great support.  Ask questions of your doctor and team.  You can also post specific questions here and you'll always get some insightful, first-person, experience-based responses.

Stay strong and know that the beginning is really rough, but once they make a full diagnosis (please ask to have any biopsied tissue tested for genetic markers) and you get a treatment plan laid out you will begin to feel some control and things will calm down for you.

Stay strong.  First get the diagnosis, then the treatment plan and then it's time to kick LC's butt.

Lou

Hi Cricket. I’m sorry you are here but happy to meet you now that you are, You have already gotten a lot of good advice but I would like to share a tip that works for me. I record every meeting with my oncologist with my iPhone. That way I get to go back and listen to it again. I also can play for a loved one. I keep them foe 6 months or more. It has helped me through. I’d also like to share that I had a 2 cm in my left lung and was stage IV and now I’m NED. Don’t give up hope. Peace, light and. Great scans to all, Claudia

Claudia has a great suggestion, there--recording the doctor visits. I think it's always best to ask permission before you do that--no one should refuse, but it helps build trust. Also, in SOME jurisdictions, recording someone without their knowledge is illegal. Ask first, and you'll be in good shape either way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, and welcome. I suggest you start a new thread (click here and then click the “start new topic” orange button at top of the page.

Tell us about why you’re here and what kind of help you’re looking for.

Glad you found us!

Archived