Increasing Weakness

Guest kjdenver

Guest kjdenver

My father is becoming increasingly weak. We are now looking at pain management options; he is no longer a candidate for radiation or chemo but he continues to take Iressa. The speed at which his strength has declined is amazing. Monday he was strong enough to go to the doctor's office, which required stairs and crutches. By Wednesday he was no longer able to walk on his own and now requires a wheelchair to go to the bathroom. Because he is taking more pain medications (fentanyl/duragesic and lortab/hydrocodone) he is also more constipated. It is a terrible trade-off because the constipation causes the pain that he is trying to alleviate through medication.

I don't know what the next week will look like? I hope he regains some strength because if he gets weaker he may be bed-ridden rather than chair-bound. My brother, who lives in Boston, is coming home to Virginia next week. I hope we have that much time to wait. At this point we are grateful for the moments of strength and time we have together.

Any thoughts on regaining strength during pain management? We are currently receiving medical help through a home health agency but plan to work with hospice in two weeks. Any thoughts on selecting the right time to work with hospice? Psychologically my father and I have had several heart-to-heart conversations about death and he is ready for what lies ahead. I guess we are fortunate that he is so comfortable talking about his feelings with me.

We had another CT Scan scheduled for later this month but all of the doctors told me that I was the only one who wanted it because they wouldn't change their therapy based on new information from the CT Scan. Now that I see how weak my father is I wouldn't put him through the test now anyhow.

That's all I have for now. My mind is racing but I'm so grateful for a few moments to log on to the boards and would appreciate any insights you might have about this stage of the journey.

My best to all of you.

Kevin (in Virginia)

Kevin,

I am so sorry your father is feeling weaker and less able to enjoy these days. My husband was having some problems with pain management was well. He experienced severe constipation and was taking so much pain meds that he too was weak and tired all the time. He would sleep 12-16 hours a day. Hydrocodone was his problem. He started see a pain management doctor for all his meds instead of getting perscriptions from his oncologist. They switched him over to Methadone. They also started him taking Senacot (herbal laxitive/stool softener). This immediately cleared things up. The Methadone causes less constipation, and the senacot (we actually get a generic brand), helped with what little remained. The methadone also caused less drowsiness and exhaustion than the hydrocodone.

I don't have any advice on what to expect and any insight on this stage of the journey, but I will be praying for your father and for you. I pray that your father is made comfortable and can regain his strength to continue his fight.

God Bless you

Carleen

Kevin,

I see that you're receiving help from a home health care agency for your father. I was just wondering what change in your father's condition has led to your decision to move from home health care to hospice. Is there any restriction as to how often someone will come in to see your dad under home health care?

I'm asking because we have reached the point where I really need someone to come in to check up on my own father. He is also incredibly weak, but his weakness has progressively gotten worse over the last month or so. It sounds like your father took quite a turn. My father is also having a problem with constipation - I didn't realize that the hydrocodone/pain medication was contributing to that. You learn something new here every day.

I am interested in seeing what others have to say in response to your post. I also need similar information.

All the best,

Nina

Kevin and Nina

I know your pain - my dad lost strength quickly also and the meds he took were to help out side affects of other meds, it was a vicious circle.

Anyway just wanted to let you know that just because you call Hospice in doesn't mean you gave up, people have improved under their care and have actually not needed hospice anymore.

The Hospice nurse that was with us when my dad passed was an angel. I don't know how we could have gone through it without her gentle guidance. She was so sweet to my father, and gentle and concerned. She stayed with us day and night at the end. I am so thankful we had her.

I will be praying for you and your loved ones......

I didn't know hydroconone caused constipation either. my father has been having big time problems with constipation and he is on hydroconone for pain.

kevin i pray that things get better, I think the unknown ups and downs and never knowing what to expect are some of the worst parts of cancer.

Hi,

My doctor put me on oxycontin (40 mg/12 hrs) and hydrocodone for breakthrough pain and told me to take 2 Senna-s along with the oxycotin for constipation.More during the day if needed.I have had not had pain or constipation since.He stressed the importance of staying ahead of constipation so make sure you take the senna-s even if you don't think you need it.It has worked for me.TBone

Constipation can be worse than just about anything else! Always ask it it is a side effect of any new drugs! This is from the official Queen of **IT (the emergency room Dr. said so)!! I have been taking several things over the week end to try and clear it up and it does drain your energy to have to fight it.

Are your fathers blood counts up where they should be? That can also cause weekness and fatigue (I am ready for a transfusion myself).

Prayers being said!

God Bless,

MO

My husband Buddy also grew weak very fast. When we called in hospice was when his constipation ended. They tell the family to give senna-s everytime you get a pain pill. That worked for him until he could no longer swallow. Then the constipation came back and they had to do enima's a few times.

I would not wait for two weeks for hospice, it sounds like he is in need of this service now. I know i started to hesitate in calling them but thank God I didn't. For we only had their service less then two weeks. I wasn't prepared for it to happen so fast. I kept thinking he would wake up tomorrow and be a little bit better. Never happened....