So nervous about my surgery

LilyMir

Hello friends, I had my PET scan on Thu but due to the weekend I am left with no results so far (CT was OK previously, except for the lung nodule but I am still so nervous). It it brutal to wait!

My surgery is scheduled for Tue and I am starting to freak out a bit. Feeling so emotional and profoundly sad despite my surgeon sounding optimistic.

How is recovery from VATS been for those of you who have had it? Between my depression and anxiety, life has not been easy.

Thanks!

Lily,

Your surgery will be easier than you think.  When I was told the same thing I didn't believe it, but it turned out to be true.  To help you prepare and recover here is an article titled "Thoracic Surgery Tips and Tricks"  it can be found here.  I'm not sure if I sent it to you before, so forgive me if this is a repeat.  In the meantime please busy yourself with friends, family, or anything that can help distract you from your worry.  And know that we are here to answer any questions you may have.

Lou

Hi lily

Try and stay positive we all worry before the procedures we have to endure but they are never as bad as we thought, goodluck with everything and praying for brilliant results all the best 

Take care Justin x 

• 1 month later...

Hey 
I wanted to chime in a bit here, you sound a lot like me. I had a lung resection w/ possible lobectomy scheduled last month and I literally walked out before my surgery because the place was a mess! From filthy conditions to rude, downright incompetent nurses. It was not the place for me.  I am now scheduled with a different surgeon in the same facility that I went to for chemo/rads for a previous cancer, this Thursday 5/26/22. 
I was pretty scared and very anxious when I got this news because the nodules I have (found a second one after the first surgery didn’t happen) could be a recurrence of the other cancer or it could be a new lung cancer. Lots of unknowns.  Also- Surgery. I mean, I just don’t like it. But, I will push on because it’s probably early no matter what it is and After having first hand experience with cancer and treatments, I know it’s better to catch as early as possible. 
It’s so important to feel confident with the surgeon and staff and facility you’ll be at. This time around, I am far less anxious and feel really good about where I will be. It’s never my idea of a good time but my idea of living longer definitely outweighs my anxiety over surgery. 
I’ve read posts here and have had so much support from others who graciously share their experiences so that we newbies can find hope and comfort- it’s made all the difference. 
I wish I could say the perfect words to help you through this but it’s just scary. I will definitely post here when I’m able to after my surgery on Thursday and tell you everything that went on!  
I hope you’re having a great day and I’ll be thinking of you! 

Good for you, Maryloumoo. You took care of yourself and acted to affirm a standard of care for others. I hope your surgery went well today. Please keep us posted. 

K

On 5/22/2022 at 5:13 PM, Maryloumoo said:

Hey 
I wanted to chime in a bit here, you sound a lot like me. I had a lung resection w/ possible lobectomy scheduled last month and I literally walked out before my surgery because the place was a mess! From filthy conditions to rude, downright incompetent nurses. It was not the place for me.  I am now scheduled with a different surgeon in the same facility that I went to for chemo/rads for a previous cancer, this Thursday 5/26/22. 
I was pretty scared and very anxious when I got this news because the nodules I have (found a second one after the first surgery didn’t happen) could be a recurrence of the other cancer or it could be a new lung cancer. Lots of unknowns.  Also- Surgery. I mean, I just don’t like it. But, I will push on because it’s probably early no matter what it is and After having first hand experience with cancer and treatments, I know it’s better to catch as early as possible. 
It’s so important to feel confident with the surgeon and staff and facility you’ll be at. This time around, I am far less anxious and feel really good about where I will be. It’s never my idea of a good time but my idea of living longer definitely outweighs my anxiety over surgery. 
I’ve read posts here and have had so much support from others who graciously share their experiences so that we newbies can find hope and comfort- it’s made all the difference. 
I wish I could say the perfect words to help you through this but it’s just scary. I will definitely post here when I’m able to after my surgery on Thursday and tell you everything that went on!  
I hope you’re having a great day and I’ll be thinking of you! 

Good on you, so important to have total trust in your care team for sure!

Was your surgery today? Hope it went very smoothly! Mine was a month ago now. Wishing you the very best of outcomes!